Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 06:14   #1

Boat: Full Moon (Island Trader 37)
Sea Eagle Inflatable

Anyone out there have any experience with the Sea Eagle brand of inflatables? I have an opportunity to buy one at a pretty good price.
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 05-08-2006, 17:26   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Jerry, These are toys and not serious tenders. If you just want a toy then go for it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 17:35   #3

Boat: C&C 27
I don't have one but have heard the "pool toy" claim made by other folks who did purchase one. With that said it may still be worth buying if the price is low enough. I don't know what the going price at the fleas are where you sail but here a 10yo hypalon dingy that still holds air can be had for about $300. Less if it need floorboards, a patch or a title. That is the route I took.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:46   #4

Boat: Full Moon (Island Trader 37)
Thanks for the information. Any sugesstions on a good inflatable? I am trying very hard to avoid the Boat US/West Marine price fixing trap.
I know very little about inflatables other than Hyperlon being or at least was the recommended material for construction.
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 07-08-2006, 15:39   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
A West Marine, 1998 vintage PVC inflatable came with my boat. I'm on my 2nd tube of glue while putting back together all the lapjoints that have come unglued. I'll get it to hold air, but am not sure if I can ever use it without getting a wet butt.

In my humble opinion, Hyperlon is the only way to go.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 00:27   #6

I don't have direct experience with Sea Eagle, but I think I may have seen it in a catalog. If I'm remembering correctly, I have something similar.

It is a Sevylor "Super Caravel" or something like that that I bought for $69 at West Marine several years ago. Many people call them a "pool toy", but I would at least say a rather high quality pool toy. Regular pool toys are a thinner material and don't have multiple air chambers. They also come in prettier colors.

The only propulsion is rowing. It doesn't row all that well, but you can get around if there is not much in the way of wind/current.

You can buy an engine mount, and then a trolling motor, and then a battery, but by then the price is mounting to the point where a more conventional inflatable would make sense. Why spend $99 (engine mount) + $250 (trolling motor) + $100 (battery) = $450 to put a weak engine on a $69 boat?

I still keep the Sevylor as a spare. The advantages are that it is cheap, small, and light. I keep it in a cardboard box that once held an 8D battery, which I can lift with one hand easily. My regular dinghy (Tinker 12') can only be stored on deck even when deflated because it is so large, and it weighs over 70 lbs. I could never keep a second one stashed away somewhere.

It has limited capability, but it can serve some purposes. e.g. It can get me from a mooring to a dinghy dock. I used it most recently in June, when my Tinker was in the shop for repair. I wanted to row around a cove and look at wildlife. (Saw a water snake trying to eat a fish - very cool.) It's fine for that sort of application.
Old 29-09-2008, 19:58   #7

sea eagle

Bought a sea eagle 12.6 foot inflatable 4 years ago, have taken it everywhere with 25hp engine, have had not one problem with it. It is definitely not a toy, however it will not last in the sun like a hypalon boat and I don't think it's as rigid as the aluminum floors in the more expensive brands.
toitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 05:39   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Thanks for the information. Any sugesstions on a good inflatable? I am trying very hard to avoid the Boat US/West Marine price fixing trap.
I know very little about inflatables other than Hyperlon being or at least was the recommended material for construction.
Thanks,
Jerry
Hi, Jerry.

I bought an "Advanced Frame" inflatable kayak, and really like it. I used to do a lot of whitewater kayaking and canoeing, and I was initially worried that it would be like some kind of "rubber ducky". To the contrary, I've been really impressed with how it handles. It has an internal frame in the bow and stern to stiffen it, and little skeg to keep it tracking straight. It's fast and stable. It's bottom and tubes are constructed from PVC, but the deck is a tough polyester fabric, which I would expect to be sun-resistant.

http://advancedelements.com/advancedframe.html#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	5274  
Old 30-09-2008, 09:22   #9

Sea Eagle

I have had sea eagle 8.6 for 5 years, pvc. I keep on davits with sunbrella cover and spray every year with 303. I have not had any problems, holds air and does not leak. Have a Mercury 2hp for kick. I believe I paid about $850. For the price I think it would be hard to beat. Does it compare to a $4,000 Caribe? NO, but gets the job done.
phillip
silver heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:39   #10

I had a WM dingy that the floor came unglued from the tubes just about the same time that the warranty expired. Might not be the best thread for such but I replaced it with a 8 year old Avon, still working fine at the 12 year mark!!
Jay Knight is offline   Reply With Quote