Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2014, 15:57   #1

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
remove Aries servo-rudder before each storm?

I have just purchased a 33' steel yacht. Alan Pape designed Ebbtide.
Preparing for a crossing of the South Tasman

The previous owner rebuilt and installed an Aries vane.
He told me that, in his opinion, the servo rudder is liable to " be damaged by big seas". His suggestion was to climb over the stern and remove the servo rudder BEFORE any storm arrives. ( steering by hand for the duration of the storm )
He installed a large stainless rail for such a purpose. see photo
I cannot imagine doing such a practice.
On most boats this would not even be possible surely.
I am not contemplating such action .
what think us?

He has offered to sell me a "spare " servo rudder for $300 Australian.
who would buy the "Spare servo-rudder" ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	85188  
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:12   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: remove Aries servo-rudder before each storm?

Hahaha. Great joke!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

in my experince the more wind,and the faster you go the better they work!

worth carrying a spare "fuse coupling" in case that breaks,but the rudder it self is pretty rugged so a spare would be superflous unless the existing one did not ave a safety line on it and floated away if the fuse broke
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:16   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

If the rudder didn't float it would be easy to remove and install but it does. Getting it off is a bit easier but still a pain. In the chance it would help you steer I would leave it on. You really could fall ovbd fighting with it. Too bad you don't have one of the tilt up models or a folding shaft.
With spare fuse couplings and the safety tether I would also by more beer with $300.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:29   #5

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

... steering by hand for the duration of the storm...

That's ludicrous; the overwhelming advantage of wind-vane rather than an electronic auto-helm for steering you across an ocean (to my mind, way more than the amps that it saves) is that when the weather gets rough, is the time when the auto-helms start to struggle and you have to hand-steer, whereas the windies just get better and better as the wind increases; put out a scrap of headsail, no mainsail and fasten extensions to the control lines so that they reach forward to the companionway, sit there in the warm/dry and broad-reach/run until the weather eases. Hand-helming in heavy weather is only for those poor souls who've not got a wind-vane!
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 17:04   #6

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I've not ever had to pull the blades up on the flemmings I have used and I don't think the Aires are any weaker. I did damage a flemming when a drogue line must have tangled with it, but we managed to remove the unit from the stern and repair it at sea.

Just make sure you have a good bridle system for the drogue (dont make it too long), a spare fuse and a strong lanyard on the blade.

Looks like a nice boat. I always liked those ebbtides.
Old 18-07-2014, 17:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Managed to break the rudder coupling dragging a ton of kelp with the boat under full sail in 20 knots of wind. Went from 7k to nearly stopped instantly. The coupling still didn't break immediately. Knocked off the remains of the old coupling, added the spare and the vane was good as new. The SS and Bronze Aries had issues with the rudder swinging up out of the water in high wind conditions but that was an inconvenience not something that hurt the vane. The Aries is hell for stout, can't see having to pull the rudder.

Looks like you've got a great boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 18:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Well, I have a spare rudder for the Aries on our Alan Pape SteelMaid, sorta a big sister to an Ebbtide. Our transom sweeps high out of the water and the rudder actually has a shaft extension to lower the rudder enough. The PO had the boat built and discussed the installation with Franklin. It is a tilt up model.

I've sailed with winds in the low 30's and it was fine. I do have a spare rudder because I got one for cheap(ish.)

Changing or removing a rudder would be a PITA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	85189  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 22:21   #9

I used my Aries up to, and including trysail and storm jib, on a 37 foot steel boat. The thought of disconnecting the most valuable piece of gear, because the wind pipes up is ludicrous. I used an Aries on my next boat, DDW, wing and wing, with double reefed main and #2 genoa, in high winds and big seas. The thought of steering in that crap would be enough to make me want to go camping in the desert. The rudder safety rope goes to the bottom bolt of the break-away sleeve (fuse), so if you snag something and the sleeve breaks, you still have the rudder to bring aboard and put a new sleeve on. Changing, or removing a rudder at sea would be a real pain, but replacing a broken sleeve would beat the hell out of steering through bad weather. Realistically , if I broke a sleeve out at sea, I would probably heave to, until conditions improved enough to change it out. An Aries is a lot tougher than you or I, and it doesnt get tired. Just my 2 cents worth, ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 03:20   #10

Boat: kuiper 32

I have used a fleming downwind in 50 knots no worrys at all under storm jib only cant see why you would not.Would have been dangerous to have been outside trying to hand steer,as we had seas occasionlly breaking into the cockpit.Think previous owner hadnt had much experience.Enjoy your crossing great looking vessel.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 18:54   #11

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'

thanks people
I was never going to be climbing outboard by choice.
Glad to hear others do not.
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, rudder