Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 14:08   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Portable Generator Storage

Hi All
I was thinking of permanently mounting my honda generator in the back of my cockpit locker. I would guarantee proper ventilation when running and would monitor CO levels. It would rarely be used and would be very convenient not to have to lug it up on deck for each use. A friend thinks its a bad idea, and I agree but up to a point.

What does the cruising community think? With the generator gas tank being stored empty and proper monitoring during operation, are the risks still so high that it unsafe to store and/or operate the generator inside the cockpit locker.
Cheers,
Hank

note: the cockpit locker does drain into the boats bilge.
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 14:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Hmm, tend to agree with your friend. Off the top of my head then:

Your cockpit locker will fill up with petrol fumes when you fuel up the genny and since they are heavier than air they will stay there until you switch on the anything electrical in the cockpit locker, like heating or battery charger, or even the genny itself.

Next what about the exhaust, its going to make an awful mess inside that locker which someone is going to clean up at some point in the future. If there is a problem are you going to climb into a nearly enclosed space thats full of carbon monoxide, thats the silent lethal gas btw.

We have a portable genny and yes it is a bit of a pain lifting it out every time, but please play safe with fumes sparks and exhausts.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 16:20   #3

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
I would & do store the generator full of fuel to prevent moisture getting in. The honda I have has a good seal on the fuel tank. Run it out side only.

Regards
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 19:14   #4

Making a good mounting for storage sounds like a great idea, but I wouldn't run it down there: make the bracket quick-release so you can pull it out & store it away conveniently.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12   #5

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
We have a Honda 1000w which we keep in the engine room but always make sure that it is full. we only use it on the aft deck plenty of ventlation and safer to fill up. When at anchor I put it on for an hour in the morning to sharge and heat the water for Sally's and my shower.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator