Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 07:05   #1

Boat: 1977 Cheoy Lee 61' pilot house trawler
NAIAD fin guards?

I've got large NAIAD fin stabilizers that appear ready to snag any and all lobster/crab/you name it lines we get close to.
Does anyone have a recommendation or link to fin guard models that are effective and low-profile?
I've done a google search, but the one relevant result was for a rather large molded hull add on that seems overkill and a drag producer.
Thinking a triangle blade of some sort mounted forward to guide lines over the fin but don't see anything on the market.
Is this something I'll need to have fabricated?

Thanks
napadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 07:29   #2

Re: NAIAD fin guards?

I don't have a link, and my fins are Wesmar, but they have kelp cutters that have been effective at preventing snags of kelp, line, etc. Basically, in front of each fin a stainless steel blade is mounted to the hull in such a way as to prevent anything from getting between the fin and the hull. When kelp or whatever hits the blade, it is either cut or, since the blade is angle to allow kelp, etc., to slip down the blade and away from the hull, displaced to about 10" from the gap between the hull and the fin. Since the fins are also angled, kelp, etc., is forced down to and off of the outter edge of the fin. The stainless piece is pretty heavy duty. Probably 3/4" thick, 3" wide and about a foot long, welded to a base that is equally beefy and secured to the hull.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote