Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2011, 17:48   #1

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
How to Reduce the Headaches from Your Outboard

You know how outboards loose power when stored for a long time? Well here is why and how to prevent it.
When you take the motor off and store it without proper preparation there is fuel and oil in the carburetor. When the motor sits that fuel evaporates through the fuel jets depositing a coating much like a varnish. You cannot easily see this, but it slowly closes the jet preventing the proper flow of fuel. Do this often enough and you get a motor that is the very devil to start and runs like an old lawn mower giving little or no power. To prevent this before you take the motor off the dingy turn off the fuel and run it at idle until the fuel in the carburetor is consumed. No fuel in the carburetor means no varnish in the jets. Now you can store the motor safely and it should run perfectly when you need it again. Just thought I would share this with you. It was in our last newsletter at Novenber - December Newsletter along with a bunch of other things to make afloat a bit easier.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 18:45   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
I run all the gas out when I park them.

I dump the float bowl to empty our unused fuel when the motor is not in use...

...Just located a Yamama 6hp (2 cyl 2sptoke) that was out of production.

I will replace my 4 stroke 6hp with htis, an avoid going 4 stroke as long as I can.

They are heavy, they vibrate more, don't have the torque, and are more complicated then they need to be.

No more 4 stroke outboards!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 02:03   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience
I also have a 4 stroke yamaha & the color is alright ,outside of that can't think of anything else good to say.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 02:44   #4

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
side note about 4 strokers

Thanks guys we were just thinking about buying one of the 6hp ones.....not anymore! Thanks
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard