Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2023, 05:00   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Fixing leaky Hypalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Uups, forgot about your epoxy issue.

Maybe someone close bye in the anchorage could do it? I'd do it, but I'm in Spain. Haha.

Regarding rigging, nothing done, but I have the impression you have a much clearer concept how things will need to be and how to do them.
So little physical progress might be true but know how gained is also good.

Cross my fingers for good success.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes. That is the silver lining. I think I know what to do. I will certainly have some questions and a thread.

However, I have new motivation. The boat is the best possible home. So, I have decided to stay. No selling. It’s only for me. A different motivation. An enjoyment to finish these parts without all the stress of outsiders. Outsiders cause all the stress.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 09:08   #17

Forgot to add one item to the list of of steps on patching hypalon

- make sure to mask the surrounding area. Any adhesive that works well on hypalon is a huge pain to remove/clean up and often requires mechanical removal.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:02   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

One tiny niggle.

Not acetone: MEK for cleaning; acetone will attack the Hypalon.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:33   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee 53 Motorsailor

Give Inflatable Boat Repair a call at 252-571-0421. Zoey is the nicest person in the world, and she will give you invaluable tips even if you don’t use their services.
Wingflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:40   #20

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Agreed; in the Vero-Canaveral area, she'd come pick up and return your boat for you, too (well, her driver would).

She has a Facebook page as well, for good tips. However, it's Offshore Rafting...

https://offshorerafting.com/
https://www.facebook.com/offshorerafting
252.571.0421 - Tell her Grounded Pig (Skip and Lydia) say hello!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:45   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Chotu,
About that crane.
Read Fatty Goodlander's story in the last Cruising World Magazine.
You will get a good juggle out of it!
"My Perfect Boats" under OnWatch

Cheers
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:35   #22

Boat: Morgan 41

If all else fails, check out retubing options at https://aiboats.com. They do outstanding work and are located in St Petersburg, FL
capn jlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:40   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Thank you! I cannot use epoxy.

But I think the rigging will go pretty well now. After two riggers have failed (for different reasons), I’m done. I’m not hiring this out at all. It’s a rip off.

I’m going to get everything together myself. Will be much faster. Believe it or not.

It’s taken 7 months now to get exactly nothing done and I’ve spent $34,000. I do have a fair amount of parts however. Not all of the $34,000 was lost. Just a good amount of it.

If I had done this myself I would be already sailing and for less money lost. Now that I am away from the tremendous heat in Florida, I can work on things with plenty of energy and good spirits. The heat really diminishes my ability (and motivation) to speed through work like I normally do.

I built it down there because it was the right environment for using epoxy. That’s really the only reason.

So no more. Only thing I am hiring is the crane.

And even with the crane I have been trying to see if there is one that I can use without hiring someone ha ha
I have been back and forth on which is more impossible conditions to work in extreme heat or cold. I too have found that once the temperature and humidity reaches a certain level it is impossible to get anything done. Whereas, cold areas I think more clearly and can always add another layer.

Limit on cold I think is about 0 F if no wind.

Good rigging to you! You can do it!

I know your mast size is set...but want to encourage you to under canvas your rig until you are confident your rigging is strong. Consider buying some smaller used sails for trials. A small drifter sail alone powered my vessel to 7.5 knots and was so light and easy to take down and stow. Further conservative conservative conservative sailing. I am not saying don't go out unless the winds are less than 20 knots...I am just saying don't have all the canvas up until you have proven your work and are very confident in your abilities.

I will never forget the Frenchman who saw my vessel and whistled...."I could put a 120 foot mast on this vessel and it would really fly". I wish I could recall his name...I later found out he was a rather famous circumnavigator who broke lots of sticks. Sticks other people paid for.

Also be sure not to make the beginner mistake I did. I over compressed it. Over tension on your rigging lines is not a good thing.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I have been back and forth on which is more impossible conditions to work in extreme heat or cold. I too have found that once the temperature and humidity reaches a certain level it is impossible to get anything done. Whereas, cold areas I think more clearly and can always add another layer.

Limit on cold I think is about 0 F if no wind.

Good rigging to you! You can do it!

I know your mast size is set...but want to encourage you to under canvas your rig until you are confident your rigging is strong. Consider buying some smaller used sails for trials. A small drifter sail alone powered my vessel to 7.5 knots and was so light and easy to take down and stow. Further conservative conservative conservative sailing. I am not saying don't go out unless the winds are less than 20 knots...I am just saying don't have all the canvas up until you have proven your work and are very confident in your abilities.

I will never forget the Frenchman who saw my vessel and whistled...."I could put a 120 foot mast on this vessel and it would really fly". I wish I could recall his name...I later found out he was a rather famous circumnavigator who broke lots of sticks. Sticks other people paid for.

Also be sure not to make the beginner mistake I did. I over compressed it. Over tension on your rigging lines is not a good thing.
that’s what I like about the cold as well. I can always control it on my personal body. With heat you cannot escape it. It just hits you and you can’t takeoff your skin. Lol With cold you can always add a layer or another layer. I don’t think I go down to 0F. That’s a little too much for me. Maybe 30 F. Even 25 is rough for outdoor work unless it's vigorous.

Plus I grew up in the cold. I know how to deal with it. It’s just called having the right gear.

thanks! I’m kind of excited actually because it’s better to know everything about your boat than to outsourced things. That has always been that case. And rigging is just such a mystery that it seems we all outsource that one.

but I think it’s a lot more simple than we all imagine it to be.

I already know what size of everything I need. So from there it’s not that big of a deal to order it all and hook it all up.

of course I will have tons of questions about what people‘s preferences are. Because I don’t even know my own. I usually buy a boat and sail it as is. I adapt to the boat's setup. All I know is that I need to route everything to one central location. That's a must. And power assist for when things get tiring.

i’m sure many people have come up with things they like that are interesting and easy to use. That’s really what I’m looking for. Easy to use.

One really good situation with my mast being horizontal right now is I can go "up" in a boatswains chair and I won’t be paralyzed. Ha ha. I can hang off either end of the thing and do all of the work I need to do. Maybe with a blanket tied around it in case I drop some thing so it doesn’t go in the water.

I don’t think I need to go through all the steps you are describing and wasting all the money and time on sails that are not appropriate. I have the sails that came with it. they are in great condition. The main is perfect, although a triangle top. I didn’t need any service at all over at the sail maker. The jib will not be correct because I have increased the size of the fore triangle a little bit. I will need to fly it as is for now, which is less sail area which is what you are saying. And that's good. Lol.

And then later I will need to get a new one. I don’t think they can re-cut this old one to make it into something worthwhile. They will need to start fresh I think.

As far as the main goes, I can just reef. I don’t anticipate going out in 25 knots with full sails out for quite a while. I am a cruiser. I’m not a racer. I never stress my rigs out. I keep the stresses low because I can’t afford to fix things all the time ha ha.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:49   #25

In your case the only solution might be, to put a tube inside your hypalon. I've done that, and it gave me a couple of extra years on my 20 years old Caribe.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:39   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

FlexSeal of course. The ads are clear

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 02:11   #27

Boat: Aloa 27

If you take a good look at the photos, this dinghy is not in its prime and has suffered the ravages of time.
It would be a good idea to consult an ophthalmologist before buying anything second-hand, next time... :-)

FlexSeal is good enough
Phil_Fr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 03:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fr17 View Post
If you take a good look at the photos, this dinghy is not in its prime and has suffered the ravages of time.
It would be a good idea to consult an ophthalmologist before buying anything second-hand, next time... :-)

FlexSeal is good enough
$750. To get by for a year after transom failure on the old one. Was supposed to have not leaked according to seller/liar.
Old 05-07-2023, 03:08   #29

Flex seal: the tape??? I have that aboard already from trying it successfully on my windows ages ago.

That’ll hold the few psi/Pa??

If so, that is the answer. While I look for a new dinghy.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:14   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I meant the Flexseal putty, to put where the canvas ply shows through the missing rubber.

The tape may work as well. Also, 5200 works as a filler as well as patch adhesive.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote