Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:43   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
In January 2010, Livingston Boats became part of The PowerCat Group, and relocated operations to Tarboro, North Carolina.
To simplify your purchasing they have established a program to sell direct to consumers through your local dealer. If you do not have a local dealer, then they will ship the boat directly to you or a dealer of your choosing.
Livingston Boats - Home
Livingston Boats - Dealers
Welcome to The PowerCat Group

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45   #32

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Should I?
Any recommendations on one that will fit nicely on the davits?
I personally prefer an inflatable, but if I were to get a hard dinghy, I'd look at the Puffins. They're handsome, row great, and seem a very good value. They're now on sale at Hamilton Marine for $899 (8'6" rowing model).
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34   #33

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Seems that choice of dinghys is almost on a debatable par with anchors :-).
For my 30-ft Golden Gate monohull sloop, I wanted a sailing dink as sailing around a new harbor or anchorage is, to me, pure pleasure compared to speeding around with a noisy motor. I do have to consider the distance that I will have to row to shore and the hard dink seems more vulnerable to the size of waves when landing. I bulilt my Eastport Pram 2-inches short to fit on my foredeck. It would be luxury to have it in davits (but unsafe, I think, at sea). We also carry a pair of inflatable kayaks for exploring. It all works well for us, considering that all boats seem some kind of compromise :-).
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51   #34

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
. We also carry a pair of inflatable kayaks for exploring. It all works well for us, considering that all boats seem some kind of compromise :-).
if money was no option, those hobie inflatable kayaks with the sailing rig and mirage drive seem to be awesome.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03   #35
Marine Service Provider

A zodiac with an electric pump to quickly inflate/deflate the cells, depending on if you're motoring or rowing!

Actually I'm really liking the Livingston 9. 100+ lbs more weight capacity than the other boats mentioned here. Rated for 4 people, the others are only rated for 2 or 3. And it's only 10lbs heavier than the 8 model. What I don't like is it seems impossible to actually see one before ordering.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:17   #36

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
A zodiac with an electric pump to quickly inflate/deflate the cells, depending on if you're motoring or rowing!

Actually I'm really liking the Livingston 9. 100+ lbs more weight capacity than the other boats mentioned here. Rated for 4 people, the others are only rated for 2 or 3. And it's only 10lbs heavier than the 8 model. What I don't like is it seems impossible to actually see one before ordering.
We have one and you are welcome to visit it in Pasadena Maryland any time. It is hanging off the back of the boat. Photos are on our web site at,
The Trawler Beach House

Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:18   #37

Boat: Downeast 32
Used Livingstons are hard to find. I looked for a long time then BINGO one came up for sale In Santa Cruz, CA. I was in Monterey at the time and 30 miles away. A 2006 with 2006 4 stroke 2.5 Yamaha and oars for $ 1000.00. It is now on my davits as I slowly make my way south to Panama and cruising on $ 500.00 a month. But like I said they are very well built, dry and stable ride for the size. I just like hard dinks over inflatables. I have a 12 foot inflatable raft in a bag on deck also for river rafting or what ever. But check out the Livingston you wont be disappointed.
agrainofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We have one and you are welcome to visit it in Pasadena Maryland any time. It is hanging off the back of the boat. Photos are on our web site at,
The Trawler Beach House

Chuck
I may take you up on that. I'll be in Annapolis for the show next month.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:34   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i am having difficulty trying to figure out why is it a down grade to go to a hard dink when inflatables are really DE-flatables???? and hard dinks dont leak air out ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:08   #40
Marine Service Provider

agrainofsand - Does yours have the reinforced hull? And I'm guessing the davit heads are an option that's not included standard?

zeehag - I meant downgrade, as far as price tag. Even the used RIB that I hate, should sell for enough to at least cover a big chunk of a new Livingston.
Old 04-09-2010, 13:54   #41

livingston is a very sturdy and heavy dink. is difficult to row but motors nicely with small hp outboard. they are heavy so dragging up a beach is not easy, but are a nice stable platform for use for diving and work. trade offs are tough but is good dink.
Old 04-09-2010, 14:06   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
livingston is a very sturdy and heavy dink. is difficult to row but motors nicely with small hp outboard. they are heavy so dragging up a beach is not easy, but are a nice stable platform for use for diving and work. trade offs are tough but is good dink.
Actually everyone else has said they row good? The 9 is only 25lbs heavier than the RIB I have now, and it has to row easier than that thing.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:51   #43
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gonna put the Optimist on board for our next island cruise and give it a go!! Hubby and I are more into it the more we think about it!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:04   #44

the livingston rows easier than a rib, biut is still a bit heavy--will give you a good workout while cruising!
the optimist will make a good dink--is sail and row--just bring oars...good platform for provisioning---many use those here as rowing dinks. i have kayaks and a rollup and a walker bay 8 ft...

i wanted a livingston for long time--they are excellent platforms for diving and working on boat as they are very very stable, and you will want to place some fenders or something to keep from banging boat --makes a jarring noise and feeling! there is no such thing as THE perfect dink...livingston gets close, as do optimist and some others....depends on personal taste an needs..
Old 21-09-2010, 23:35   #45
CFR

Hi from germany, i am just have to made the same decision and i do not like any davits at my 44 ft sailing boat. So far i have a 6,5 ft m inflatble which made everyone laughing if we use it with 2 adults.... I am considering only a nesting / take apart hard dinghy which is can store on cabin top and besides all plans / kits which are availble in US i found one interesting one in the UK and although it seem to be really expensive i am serious considering. It is a 8.5 feet pram made in carbon fiber which will give 32 kg in total, consequently the halve will be 28 and 14 kg. so far i couldnt find any lighter one and i assume for carrying it up the beach etc weight is the main issue. you can have a look at nestaway boats. Any other idea out there ? If building a nesting dinghy myself i ma sure i will add something here and there and in the end it will be arround 45 or 50 kg easily.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote