Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 12:53   #16

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Dinghy: Rollup or Slat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I owned an Achilles aluminum roll up floor dink many years ago with an 8hp. It would plane with 2 people but no more. It was easy to roll up. When planing the floor would sort of have little rolls or movements in choppy water. It was not as stiff or as light as an airfloor but more dependable in the long run.
That's what we're looking at, a Achilles 310. We are only two people so that should be efficient for us. Was the floor flexibility sketchy or just noticeable when planning in chop?
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
47 feet?

Davits. Once you've had them you would never do without. when you want to go some wherer in the dinghy, it's just like getting in the car.
Yea 47'. While we like the function of davits we don't want the baggage on the stern like that. Plus, davits or a tower isn't in our budget right now.
Old 01-12-2017, 13:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
I just bought an F-RIB and it folds small enough to stow below while being light enough to carry by one person. Have you looked at one? F-RIB | Revolutionary new Foldable RIBs (F-RIBs)

Might be best of both worlds for you. I know it solved my problem.
I have looked into them, but haven't seen one in person. The two smaller models are about the same deflated size as the Achilles 310 rollup we're looking at. The only thing that prevents me from getting one right away is that 1. The PVC material durability, though I know it's a different type than most other pvc inflatables. And 2. It's deflated size is more boxy than the rollup with is more rectangular. We would like not to have it on deck so would need to make sure it will fit through our companionway. It is slightly lighter so that's a plus.

How do you like it? What did you have before the Frib? Would you say it's easy to get on deck and inflate from below? If you've had a regular inflatable, is it comparable to this new one in setting up? How do you like it in the water, under motor?

Hope you don't mind the questions, you're the first person from what I have seen that has gotten one recently.
Old 01-12-2017, 15:13   #19

Quote:
I just bought an F-RIB and it folds small enough to stow below while being light enough to carry by one person. Have you looked at one? F-RIB | Revolutionary new Foldable RIBs (F-RIBs)

Might be best of both worlds for you. I know it solved my problem.
Hi,
I am on the market for a dinghy as well. I looked at the F-RIB and it looks very interesting to me, but I have not found anybody who owns one to know how it behaves...
Could you or any other F-RIB owner comment on it?
Thank you!
Fabio
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 00:11   #20

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

We had an Avon 285 rollup with the aluminium floor. We noticed a slight upwards bend on the slats when the keel was fully inflated. Avon said you could not over pressure the keel, with their pump, so we have it a good load.

I don't know how the Achilles tracks but our Avon tracked almost as well as the rib. The Avon does cost a little more, but imho it's a better boat, and worth the price differential. We had a 9.9hp 2 stroke and it planed with 3 aboard , flew with 2.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:34   #21

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Thanks for the information on your experiences with each! The one I'm looking at right now is a Achilles 310 rollup. It has the inflatable keel and is rated for an 8hp,i believe 10max. What happens when it's not flat calm?

When its not calm, you will decide you next one will have a rigid bottom!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:59   #22

Are not the rollup and slat the same thing? I guess by slats you mean the ones that are spaced out not touching each other? The rollup/slats work fine but are not that rigid on the water. But of course it's a compromise. Better than air, but not as good as removeable large boards. But those large boards are a PITA to assemble/disassemble. The rollup burp air under the boat when planing, so they kind of lope along passing a mini wave under the floor... if that makes sense.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 17:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueazimuth View Post
We had an Avon 285 rollup with the aluminium floor. We noticed a slight upwards bend on the slats when the keel was fully inflated. Avon said you could not over pressure the keel, with their pump, so we have it a good load.

I don't know how the Achilles tracks but our Avon tracked almost as well as the rib. The Avon does cost a little more, but imho it's a better boat, and worth the price differential. We had a 9.9hp 2 stroke and it planed with 3 aboard , flew with 2.
Nice to hear about it handling almost like a rib, that's comforting. I think Achilles is the only name in the game for these now. Avon apparently only sells ribs with consoles now. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-12-2017, 17:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Thanks for the information on your experiences with each! The one I'm looking at right now is a Achilles 310 rollup. It has the inflatable keel and is rated for an 8hp,i believe 10max. What happens when it's not flat calm?

When its not calm, you will decide you next one will have a rigid bottom!
Haha, well we shall see! Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-12-2017, 17:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Are not the rollup and slat the same thing? I guess by slats you mean the ones that are spaced out not touching each other? The rollup/slats work fine but are not that rigid on the water. But of course it's a compromise. Better than air, but not as good as removeable large boards. But those large boards are a PITA to assemble/disassemble. The rollup burp air under the boat when planing, so they kind of lope along passing a mini wave under the floor... if that makes sense.
Yea, the slats are the ones with the two or three big boards. The rollup, the "slats" are all connected I believe. Yea, I know it's a compromise, so I believe the rollup is our winner for that compromise.

I think I'm picking up what you're laying down. The rollup floor kind of flexes in a slow worm motion when at speed. I wonder if the inflatable keel pressure has any affect on that...?
Old 02-12-2017, 19:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
That's what we're looking at, a Achilles 310. We are only two people so that should be efficient for us. Was the floor flexibility sketchy or just noticeable when planning in chop?
Actually with the inflatable keel it tracked just fine, not that far off a RIB. Yes the floor had movement in it but nothing that really concerned me or made it uncomfortable. Side to side there wasn't any movement but fore and aft the floor would undulate in the waves, quite steady in calmer waters. I liked it and it was a good choice for our size of boat at the time and not that heavy either. Achilles made a great product at that time but I don't know if that's still the case. Good luck. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:27   #27

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Actually with the inflatable keel it tracked just fine, not that far off a RIB. Yes the floor had movement in it but nothing that really concerned me or made it uncomfortable. Side to side there wasn't any movement but fore and aft the floor would undulate in the waves, quite steady in calmer waters.

Our roll-up with inflatable keel didn't track anywhere near as well as our RIB does.

"Undulate" is a good description of floor movement while underway.

-Chris
Old 16-12-2017, 10:00   #28

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

Quote:
I have looked into them, but haven't seen one in person. The two smaller models are about the same deflated size as the Achilles 310 rollup we're looking at. The only thing that prevents me from getting one right away is that 1. The PVC material durability, though I know it's a different type than most other pvc inflatables. And 2. It's deflated size is more boxy than the rollup with is more rectangular. We would like not to have it on deck so would need to make sure it will fit through our companionway. It is slightly lighter so that's a plus.

How do you like it? What did you have before the Frib? Would you say it's easy to get on deck and inflate from below? If you've had a regular inflatable, is it comparable to this new one in setting up? How do you like it in the water, under motor?

Hope you don't mind the questions, you're the first person from what I have seen that has gotten one recently.
Sorry it took so long to reply - been traveling on business.

I love the F-Rib because it behaves like a regular rib once it is put together. With a decently powered pump, it is very easy to assemble and the model I bought is light enough for my wife to manage. We bought an electric outboard (not Torqeedo - that is another story for another time) which also breaks down into small enough loads to handle easily.

I keep the F-Rib folded on the transom but could get it down through the companionway if I needed to. My only concern is the PVC material but intend to make canvas chaps when I take my boat to somewhere sunny and leave the dinghy inflated more of the time.

I hope this addresses your questions.
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 11:17   #29

Quote:
Sorry it took so long to reply - been traveling on business.

I love the F-Rib because it behaves like a regular rib once it is put together. With a decently powered pump, it is very easy to assemble and the model I bought is light enough for my wife to manage. We bought an electric outboard (not Torqeedo - that is another story for another time) which also breaks down into small enough loads to handle easily.

I keep the F-Rib folded on the transom but could get it down through the companionway if I needed to. My only concern is the PVC material but intend to make canvas chaps when I take my boat to somewhere sunny and leave the dinghy inflated more of the time.

I hope this addresses your questions.
Yes it does, thanks for getting back. We have some time before we get another tender so we'll keep the f-rib in mind when we do.
Old 16-12-2017, 11:51   #30
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
I’ll second the experiences here. I currently have both a slat and a ridged. Flat bottom slat is easiest to stow/deploy but you could throw a 50hp on it and will never get on step or real confidence in anything outside flat calm. The suction created by the slats and the flat bottom acts more like a displacement hull. Ridged hull is nice but a pain to stow. I’ve had the opportunity to try out some HPA boats and would undoubtedly go that route with some form of keel guard and cut my own floor panels to protect the floor for wear and tear or find drop in aluminum panels or something else.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy