Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 10:39   #31

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: 9.9/15-hp 4-Stroke Outboard Motors?

Resurrecting this... even thought it's snowing here, just now...

Suzuki Marine has updated their website to now include the DF15A and DF20A electronic fuel injected (EFI) outboards. Short and long shaft models, electric start also available in each length.

Online reviews seem enthusiastic.

Given much recommendation about service and parts availability for Yamaha 2-strokes... but comparative silence about service availability on 4-strokes... and given that I'm in the Chesapeake now and likely for 99.9% of my future, anyway... I'm still considering all brands (including Suzuki, of course) and also considering the Lehr propane models...

Anybody have first-hand experience with Suzuki's DF15A yet?

-Chris
Old 25-03-2013, 22:44   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Chris,
My wife and I leave in two weeks for La Rochelle to take delivery of our new He'lia 44 by FP. We will have the new Suzuki manual start 4 stroke, will post when we have given it a fair run.
Cheers Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 04:33   #33

Nice! Congrats!!

-Chris
Old 26-03-2013, 04:58   #34

Boat: Gib sea 43

you will probably struggle to plain with the 9.9 , it will be fine with 2 adults and nothing else, but add a full fuel tank,wife, dog and some groceries and it probably wont plane, so the 15 looks a far better option.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 05:40   #35

I'm often surprised to see such a wide range of observatons about planing. Some say they can plane their boat with a 6-hp, 3-pax, a dog, supplies, a bicycle... and some say they can't reliably plane a full load with less than 15-hp... and even then, strategic passenger (or dog) positioning might be necessary.

It's been difficult to evaluate, without having more specific facts available about boat (hull design and weight), motor weight (including fuel, tank, hose, battery, etc.), pax numbers and individual weights (and locations), weight/shape/locations of stores or bicycles or whatever, etc.

Late last year I gained (sorta) another data point. Our existing Johnson 5-hp 2-stroke outboard (made by Suzuki, now that I mention it) got the boat, me, and the dog up on plane for the first time in recorded history. Although it was also maybe the first time I did a planned speed run

The circumstance was that a larger (real) boat past us aas we motored at our max speed, his wake -- following, to us -- lifted us enough to achieve planing status... and it seemed like we gained about 5 knots all of a sudden. (I forget where I jotted down the speeds...) I was in the stern, the 90-lb First Mutt was in his usual location acting as headlamp/hood ornament. Anyway, imagine my surprise!

I deduce from this that a 9.9-hp outboard would most likely always plane our boat, with me and FM aboard. And it might usually plane the boat with The Admiral onboard, too. And that might be good enough, for our purposes.

That said... my goals are a) reliable starting/running, b) reliable service/maintenance/parts availability, c) quiet running, d) no mixing oil, e) some decent speed details TBD, and f) better fuel economy wouldn't hurt -- in roughly that same order. More speed, in our case, simply means relative to what we make now, and I'm not thinking about racing around anchorages. All that, in a package suited to our dinghy and lift limitations (10-hp min to 15-hp max and within approved weight limits). The dinghy's primary purpose is First Mutt to shore; everything else is gravy. That would be mostly sight-seeing (by dink), taking us to shore (with or without bikes) for land-based dining or sightseeing, or an occasional re-supply...

Given our world of 10% ethanol and all the pain it causes me if I don't run the dink often enough, or if I don't just pump out or pour out (i.e., recycle) all the remaining gas after every trip...

I'm intrigued by Suzuki's new EFI product, which means 15-hp in our case. I'm also intrigued by Lehr's propane products.

A Suzuki dealer told me yesterday that dealing with injectors after "ethanol poisoning" (my term) would be much more expensive than simply cleaning out a carburetor. No surprise there. I'm wondering whether the EFI system would be better able to deal with fuel issues, though, given the whole pressurized "injection" thing (as opposed to semi-passive flow-thru). I'm not educated about whether 4-stroke injector nozzles are larger or smaller than 4-stroke carburetor jets (although if I had to guess, I'd guess smaller).

-Chris
Old 26-03-2013, 07:30   #36

Always go with the biggest motor your dink can handle. Spend the money to be able to handle the motor and stow it safely. You'll thank yourself some time when you and your whole crew are trying to get somewhere in a hurry, or when you're trying to get back to a dragging boat, or when you're hauling a huge load of groceries, or when you've run aground and are running out a kedge with a bunch of chain trying to pull you back to the boat.

The dink is a critical piece of gear, and the motor is a huge part of how useful it is. A few extra pounds and a slightly less thrifty outboard are a small price to pay for the extra abilities.

I used my dink as an island hopper down in the Bahamas last winter. Only 10 or 15 miles away? Take the dink!
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 07:59   #37

Boat: Gib sea 43

our last rib 2.8m was very light and could just plane with 2 on board with our little suzuki 6hp and flew with an 8hp, it got stolen and we bought an ab vs9 which is a bit heavier but much beamier meaning more drag, it would plane on the 8hp with 2- just and no more , no chance of it planing with a 6hp and 2 people on board , the 9,8hp we ended up with was a better match, though if was not for weight issues id have the 15hp, if you go with a 15hp there is no doubt it will plane with 2 maybe even 3 on board go less and it may or may not....

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:24   #38

Yep, agree all that -- although I don't see doing any 10-15 mile trips in a small boat unless we're paddling, downstream, in our canoe

I'm OK with the idea of 15, if I can get a gas 4-stroke that will actually run all season -- without having to remove and clean various guts every week -- whether I use it every day or not.

Most of my more recent focus on 10-hp is because Lehr's propane 9.9 is available now... and it does help to have the additional data points about what a 10-hp might do (or not).

-Chris
Old 26-03-2013, 08:52   #39

Boat: Lavranos 40

Every one has is favorite brand and tell his engine the best. I'm just going to tell you to avoid honda, not because they are bad engine (I'm pretty sure they are good), because you will hardly find parts if you sail eastern and southern caribbean. In my case I would avoid Yamaha too because they often are stolen.
I like tohatsu engines, because they are light and the parts can be found almost everywhere.
romanos2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 08:09   #40

Gotta carry a lot more gallons of propane than of gas right? What's the benefit of going with propane?
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 09:58   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The Lehr 9.9 will burn about a gallon (4 pounds) of propane per hour at wide open throttle.

I don't know if this will hold true for the Lehr as they are new to the market but typically propane powered engines require less maintenance than a gasoline powered engine. I also find it easier to deal with propane than gasoline.

I just bought a 2.5 Lehr for my various small boats. I like how easy it is to start.I'm building a little 14 foot skiff that I plan to put a Lehr 9.9 on but I'm going to wait until they release the one with a starting battery under the cover.

I'm a Lehr dealer and if anyone is interested in buying one, I'd love the chance to quote you.
Old 28-03-2013, 07:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Romberg View Post
Gotta carry a lot more gallons of propane than of gas right? What's the benefit of going with propane?

For me, maybe:

No ethanol.

Perhaps slightly easier fuel management (relative to potential gasoline spills or vapors, etc.), assuming easy propane availability (as here).

-Chris
Old 28-03-2013, 08:14   #43

Avoiding Honda is good advice but Yamaha is the best choice for world wide available parts/service not withstanding the fact they are good engines. The 4 strokes will he hard to get parts and service in the out of the way places many cruisers like to go.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:51   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

A filter does not stop the problem caused by alcohol in the fuel because the alcohol is dissolved down to the molecular level. It's the solids that alcohol leaves behind when it evaporates that causes jets to clog. I have never found any chemical that works to stop alcohol clogging of the jets. The best thing to do is to disconnect the fuel line and let the engine burn the last of the fuel out of the carburetor.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 03:26   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Avoiding Honda is good advice but Yamaha is the best choice for world wide available parts/service not withstanding the fact they are good engines. The 4 strokes will he hard to get parts and service in the out of the way places many cruisers like to go.

Yes, very similar to what I've commonly heard: buy a Yamaha 2-stroke if you go to out-of-the-way places.

Apparently the corollary is that any reputable 4-stroke is a) probably OK, and b) service and parts, even for Yamaha, may be difficult in those same out-of-the-way places.

Luckily the Chesapeake -- where I spend most of my time -- isn't too far off the beaten path

-Chris

Tags
outboard