Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2023, 17:08   #1

35hp Force Outboard 1988 or 89? Wiring

I recently was given a 1980s Force 35hp EFI outboard. I am trying to wire it and am having trouble finding the ground terminal to hook to the battery. And also the Positive. I have found a wiring diagram for a outboard which is listed with Force outboards made in the same year. The were both made by US. I have included photos and the wiring diagram. I think I have the positive correct. It connects to the starter solenoid opposite the starter positive wire. I am assuming the ground attaches behind it in the picture I have included. Thoughts?

https://ibb.co/mGWzq73

https://ibb.co/y0wzPrJ
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 19:02   #2

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: 35hp Force Outboard 1988 or 89? Wiring

You can put the ground or negative battery cable under the black wires that are bolted to the block which look like they show in your picture of the starting solenoid. Another option is to bolt the ground cable to a starter bolt. The heavy cable goes closest to the block, then the multiple wires on top of that.

It looks like you have the B+ cable correct.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 19:04   #3

What gauge should I use? I am hoping to use it to charge my house bank while motoring down the icw. Its about a 10ft run. Not sure of the alternators' output

I'm also trying to figure out a way to stop the motor from turning. It was set up for remote steering and there doesn't seem to be a tensioner anywhere
Old 16-03-2023, 19:55   #4

Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems

Great tool. there's also an app for phones.

Alternator output? good question. If you get it running you could put 12V to the field wire (disconnect it from the regulator) and measure the output. A GUESS which I would not base the wire size on would be 30 amps. Measure it, add 10amps and you should be good. Don't forget the length of the circuit is from the item and back. Both power and ground. So if the alternator is 15 feet from the house bank it's a 30 foot round trip.

The starter wire maybe 4 gauge. Starter that size might draw 100 amps but not for long.
Old 16-03-2023, 19:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post

I'm also trying to figure out a way to stop the motor from turning. It was set up for remote steering and there doesn't seem to be a tensioner anywhere
There should be a place on the engine to mount a tiller arm for steering. Use that by putting a rod or pipe to the boat.

Maybe this? https://www.boats.net/catalog/force/...0-hp-efi-3-cyl
Old 16-03-2023, 20:00   #6

What are you using this for? Sailboat? If so, see if you can get a four blade prop for it?
Old 16-03-2023, 20:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems

Great tool. there's also an app for phones.

Alternator output? good question. If you get it running you could put 12V to the field wire (disconnect it from the regulator) and measure the output. A GUESS which I would not base the wire size on would be 30 amps. Measure it, add 10amps and you should be good. Don't forget the length of the circuit is from the item and back. Both power and ground. So if the alternator is 15 feet from the house bank it's a 30 foot round trip.

The starter wire maybe 4 gauge. Starter that size might draw 100 amps but not for long.
Thanks! Yes. I am using it for my Hunter 31. A little overpowered but the diesel seems like scrap metal and we need to get it south quickly. I'll look for a 4 blade prop.
Old 16-03-2023, 20:57   #8

Outboard will eat a lot of gas. Just FYI. Like maybe 2 gph possibly more. Plan accordingly. They also don't like any waves bigger than about 4 feet as they come out of the water. My former dock neighbor had one on his boat. They abandoned ship when the steering broke in 4 to 6' seas. He said the outboard was useless.

Be careful with the fuel. Good luck.

Tags
outboard, wiring