Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 00:30   #1

Spinnaker Halyard Jammed in Mast

Recently found my spinnaker halyard possibly with shackle is jammed in the mast. How do I get it out. Have been to top but no sign of end.
michaelwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 00:54   #2

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: spinnaker halyard jammed in mast

I assume you mean that it has disappeared inside the mast. And when you pull down on the halyard, it does not come out. Is this correct?

If so, .....

1. Try and work out where the end is, based on the length of the halyard and how much comes out the bottom. If you don't know how long it was, can you look into the mast through any other sheave and use a torch and mirror to see what halyards are hanging at that height?

2. If you know approx where it is, you should be able to use logic and mast geography to work out what is jamming it.

3. If it is jammed by another halyard, loosen that halyard. Give them all a shake. If it is a fitting, pull it out. Then shake and pull down on your spi halyard.

4. Still doesn't come down? Ok, go sailing on a rough day, bash your boat to windward, give everything a good shake including your fuel tanks and see what falls out of the mast.

5. Still no good? Ok, cut it, run another halyard through and one day, when you pull the mast out, you can go fishing for the end. If it fouls up something else in the meantime, well, you will have to pull the mast all the sooner.
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 01:04   #3

Many thanks. Sounds like I will have to get at it when mast is down. It must have been pulled into it with shackle attached as I cannot pull it through. I have not used full force in case I cause further damage. Hopefully I can open up top temporally to get at it.
michaelwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker, halyard, mast