Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 11:03   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
Sailrite jib kit

My old Bristol 32 needs a new roller furling jib.

The old one has given us years of service. It came with the boat, so I have no idea how old it is, but I would guess about twenty years. When close hauled, the head leaks off to leward, and I just can't get Eider to point as high as I would like. Also, the yearly repairs are becoming more and more extensive.

I asked one of the local sail lofts for a quote, and was told something over $2,000 dollars for a replacement jib. Ouch. I called Sailrite, and after a few conversations, was quoted something just under $900. Sorry to be vague, but that's about right.

So... with some trepidation, I ordered the kit.

I had built two sails from Sailrite kits, but they were sails for daughter's pooduck, and I finished each one in less than a day. I have a Sailrite LSZ1, and it seemed logical to save the bucks and continue to rationalize owning such an expensive sewing machine by ordering another kit.

There seems to be ongoing interest in these kits, so I thought I would write about my experience. I'm not very far into it yet, but already the learning curve has been steep. Those of you who know more about sails than me can kick sand in my face, but anyway here goes.

The kit arrived in a long box. I opened one end, and managed to get the instructions and small stuff out. The kit is complete, in that it comes with all the thread, tape, leather and pieces that you need to make a sail. In other words, they send you all the consumables.

The directions are very complete, and even entertaining. There are places where they are not clear, and it is important to read them very carefully. As an example, the language regarding the clew assembly was ambiguous at best. I was able to figure out what they meant by reading the directions over several times, but one could easily be mislead.

Optimistically, Sailrite suggests that you can complete one of these kits with just a basic sewing machine and a pair of scissors. Maybe. I wouldn't want to be that guy.

I'm about a quarter of the way through, and I have found use for a cutting mat, a circular cutter, snips, and a hot knife, just to name a few. Also, a helper is almost mandatory for some of the bigger assemblies. And space. Clean, uncluttered space is essential. I suppose a motivated boater could build one of these in a small apartment, but you have my sympathy if you try.

Anyway, more later. I'll try to figure out how to post photos, as well.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 11:16   #2

Re: Sailrite jib kit

Some photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6099 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	166258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	166259  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	166260  
Old 14-03-2018, 11:23   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Your posts about your experience making your own jib from Sailrite will be well appreciated I am sure.
No doubt many consider the option.
Very interested to read your progress, and hopefully the eventual success.
Old 14-03-2018, 12:53   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I've built several SailRite kits, but no sails. I too am interested to hear the rest of your experiences.

Also my experience has been that their customer service is very good and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the phone or email them questions. They have been quick to answer my questions and very helpful on a couple projects.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 13:05   #5

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

I built a main and a jib for my Nimble 2O, it takes some time but I enjoyed learning a new skill,found their videos and help tops and I am very happy with the results.working table is essential and need to give some thought to it as the project progress and the panels get bigger you need that working area,remember the lofts have huge tables or they work on sunken areas on the floor,eventually used different sizes of plywood,good luck,enjoy it.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 14:46   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

HI, Mainbristol,

Is the thread included PTFE? or Dacron?

I, too, will watch this thread with interest. My Jim lofted the head for his 30 footer's spinnaker in my house, and one really needs access to large, clear spaces to finish a sail, imho. Best of luck with yours.

Ann
Old 14-03-2018, 15:33   #7

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Continue the updates please. I need a new main for my IP PC35.

Thanks
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 15:52   #8

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

Nothing but good words for SailRite's customer support. Its the best we have ever experienced.
We have a Sailrite LSZ1 and have made all the canvas work, cushions, etc on the boat with the exception of the sails.
Matt Grant, the owner of SailRite, has spent hours on the phone and many emails back and forth making sure that we were successful in our projects.
We have found them to be the most economical source for Sunbrella and other materials for our boat projects.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 17:39   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A note of caution: While the Sailrite machine is capable of stitching all but the thickest of corner patches and headboards, its throat area is not very big. This means that simply stuffing a roll of material through the machine gets difficult. As boat size and sail size increase, the difficulty of doing a good job of sewing becomes more of a problem. I'd be pretty hesitant to take on sails for even a 35 footer myself... but a recessed pit in a working loft floor might make it possible. Kinda hard to arrange in many homes!!

Light air sails, especially nylon ones, are more tractable and suitable for home construction... my first sailmaking effort was a symmetrical kite for a Yankee 30. No kit, just a small booklet of guidelines that Sailrite used to sell and a bale of 3/4 oz spinnaker cloth seconds from them as well. Came out well enough to win a bunch of races in SF bay and the nearby offshore courses.

I found the job quite interesting and very educational... good stuff for any aspiring cruiser to learn.

Jim
Old 14-03-2018, 18:03   #10

To begin with, Sailrite suggests that you begin by first basting and then sewing the sail into several large assemblies. I started off with the foot, first rolling the basted section and then stuffing it through the little thumper. As Jim suggests, this is no easy task.

The jib has a foot of fourteen feet, and the first seam is almost that long. I wish I had started at the head to learn on some of the shorter seams.

The basting itself is easy, and the videos on Youtube are pretty much dead on. But 'Deb' is an expert, and I had to learn. I do have some experience with the machine, but none with sliding such large assemblies through it. My first seam is not a thing of beauty. After the required three passes, though, it is certainly tough. The sail is not going to come apart.

Another thing that was new for me was getting a consistent stitch in 7 oz sailcloth. This is tough stuff, and the needle punches through like it was a sheet of hard plastic. I had a tough time tuning the machine. I've had some trouble with dropped stitches, and the day after tomorrow will start off with a good trouble shooting session.

I called Sailrite for some advice on my sewing, and I was immediately given some different video resources to help me resolve my problem.

As for space, I work in an aircraft hangar. I'm lucky. Really though, to make one of these things, you really do want a huge amount of floor space.

Gotta cut this short. More tomorrow.
Old 15-03-2018, 16:21   #11

Boat: Alberg 35

In addition to being a sailor, I also happen to be a pastor (42 years!) and I have this thought for budding sailmakers: look around for a smallish mainline church. Many of these don't have a lot going on at times and most have a big fellowship hall, ideal for dealing with sails. I work in Albany, NY, and sail out of Baltimore and there are so many times I've wished I had my sails at home, I would love to spread them out in the hall of our church.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 16:23   #12

Boat: Alberg 35

I bow to you...I love watching Sailrite videos but I don't have the sewing machine or the patience to do it. That said, another alternative is used sails. Bacon Sails in Annapolis, MD, has a lot. Mine are from there and they work well (Alberg 35, full batten main, 135% roller furling jib).
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, sail, sailrite