Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2015, 08:35   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Rigging Spin Pole?

I am now the proud owner of a carbon fiber spinnaker pole, bought third hand here in Portsmouth. Now this I hope will really improve sailing downwind.

The pole is 7 meters (about 23 feet) long and about 150mm (about 6") in diameter.

Now I have to figure out how to rig it.

I have a "T" track on the front of my mast, and I have a ring car which fits my track (hooray!) and which came with the pole. I have small sheaves at the top of the track for the pole control line.

How how to make all this work? I've seen boats with a small winch and an endless line for raising and lowering the heel of the pole along the track. Or what is the best way to do it? I guess I could just put on a cleat and use light dyneema lines, one to haul the car up, and the other to hold it down, so that it's fixed in position -- what's the best way to do it?

I have a halyard I can use for a pole topping lift (second dyneema spin halyard, although it's overkill to have it go all the way to the masthead). And then I guess I need guys fore and aft through turning blocks or maybe even through cleats like I rig my preventer. I hope I have enough winches to control this maze of lines. I bet I'll have to tack to port tack to furl the yankee if the pole is set -- to free up a winch. I guess the forward guy can be run to the opposite side, so that the two guys are on either secondary.

Then there's the question of storing this huge telephone pole-like object. I'm afraid I can't store it on the mast, because it will interfere with the staysail sheet mechanism. I guess I will have to hang it from stanchions. This will not work all that well because my boat is boat-shaped -- the sheer is curved, to the stanchions don't make a straight line. I guess I'll have to play around with it.

I'll be grateful for your tips.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging