Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 18:26   #16

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: New Sailor Question: Winches

if you tie the sheet to something strong it will help the wind in the sail pull the boat along/the winch is to help trim the sail with wind pressure on the sheet/
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 19:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

* self-tailing top cranked (and multispeed) winches appeared in the early 1970s, around 1972. Initially quite a variety of designs, including winches with a jockey wheel that held the tail to the winch drum, winches with top and bottom jaws around the tailing channel moving at different speeds, winches with top and bottom jaws that clamped together, and so on. The Font of All Knowledge reckoned that Barient was the first self-tailing winch looking much like what we take for granted today, with all the other winch companies coming up with minor variations and improvements of the Barient self-tailing jaws. And the FoAK reckoned that 1974-75 was the first big year for self-tailing winches.
I remember those multi-speed Barients. The rich guys had those on their big new yachts in the early 70's- you know, the C&C 30's, Albin Ballad 29's. And starter boats were Paceship 19's and stuff like that. I think they call that progress.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 05:54   #18

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
This is off topic, but either it comes from a frequent poster or several of them:

“'Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.' - Otto von Bismarck"

In my opinion, only a fool limits himself to one method of learning, and ignores opportunities that may present themselves unexpectedly.
Not one very successful person has ever achieved that success with out making a lot of mistakes in the process.

Mistakes are only future opportunities for success.

Now on topic. On a C22, you can get those cheap rubber donuts sold at West and they work OK for stopping the line or sheet. The winch will not have the guide to tail correctly, but years ago I was happy enough with them on the smaller boat like a C22 where the cost of self tailing winches could quickly become the most expensive part of the boat, but add little to the resale value.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 15:21   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
if you tie the sheet to something strong it will help the wind in the sail pull the boat along/the winch is to help trim the sail with wind pressure on the sheet/
Yep, and that something strong object would be the cleat which is directly behind the winch

They think of everything it seems!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 09:33   #20

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yep, and that something strong object would be the cleat which is directly behind the winch

They think of everything it seems!
Of course, one never cleats off a sheet unless it comes off a winch first as you may never get it off otherwise. I have seen a few newbies do that (one time!).

I think my First Mate did that once.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 15:52   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Of course, one never cleats off a sheet unless it comes off a winch first as you may never get it off otherwise. I have seen a few newbies do that (one time!).

I think my First Mate did that once.

That's when the first mate learns how to use a rolling hitch or a snatch block to advantage 😚

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-07-2016, 18:13   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
That can be read two ways. I did a double-take when I first read it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, winch