Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2012, 05:51   #1

New Roller furler/for-stay project

I had the rig worked on recently and is very problematic - too loose.
The furlers/stays were whipsawing around and are damaged.
Have decided to replace everything:
Have emailed several places - but no response. And contacting a retail supplier receives dubious info - no different than my research.

Wondering if I can order the stuff and mostly do it myself with the help of professional rigger.
Am anchored in Sag Harbor NY area. And advise on where to buy, what to chose, and who to hire greatly appreciated.
Either way having more knowledge of which system to buy or have bought/installed is appreciated.
I have a Catana 582 - has 2 roller furlers: approximately 69' stay length.
Presently they are Pro-Furl (not sure which model) - but much prerer robust cruising style over lightweight racer style.
I believe Genoa has rod rigging and Jib is cable (with turnbuckle). perhaps switching both to cable with individual adjustment is better?
Genoa is about 100 meters2, and Jib is 41 meters2.
Can this be done without un-stepping?
thanks
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 18:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: New Roller furler/for-stay project

Most of my experience is with boats 50ft and under, however.

1. You should beable to replace them without un-stepping, by lowering the old unit on a spinnaker halyard and useing it to assemble the new unit to the correct length.
2. Most high quality furlers come with detailed instruction so it is possible to assemble it yourself with the help of a rigger if you get stuck.
3. Furler models are based on rigging wire size, so knowing the wire or rod size helps alot.
4. Cruisers favour wire over rod, although rod has a alot less stretch which maybe an issue on the size boat you have.
5. Furlex and Harken are probably the most popular furlers here in recent times, although the locally made Reefrite is more robust I'm not sure if its avaliable outside NZ.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 02:50   #3

Re: New Roller furler/for-stay project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
Most of my experience is with boats 50ft and under, however.

1. You should beable to replace them without un-stepping, by lowering the old unit on a spinnaker halyard and useing it to assemble the new unit to the correct length.
2. Most high quality furlers come with detailed instruction so it is possible to assemble it yourself with the help of a rigger if you get stuck.
3. Furler models are based on rigging wire size, so knowing the wire or rod size helps alot.
4. Cruisers favour wire over rod, although rod has a alot less stretch which maybe an issue on the size boat you have.
5. Furlex and Harken are probably the most popular furlers here in recent times, although the locally made Reefrite is more robust I'm not sure if its avaliable outside NZ.
thanks for info.
Have one company on it now. Will send rigger (whom I've used before).
However, as you stated wire size is required. Which I cannot see.
Guess I have to remove existing furlers?
I know both furlers were originally rod. Previous owner changed one to cable for adjusting issues. I'm thinking having both cable/turnbuckle will give better tension control over entire system - which is problematic in many ways...
thx
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote