Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 12:24   #1

Need help with Forestay issue

This pic shows the top of my forestay just below the swage on my San Juan 23 with a furler. I just noticed it when I took the mast down at the end of this season.

Questions:

1) Should this be replaced immediately? My first impression is yes, but there are no broken wires or any corrosion, it's just un-twisted a bit.

2) What might have caused this, so I don't repeat the problem.

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201204_134634713.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	228124  
jjccp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 13:18   #2

Boat: 29 ft
Re: Need help with Forestay issue

Yes, it should be replaced. At the minimum, there is plastic deformation where it shouldn't be, possibly also inner strands broken or not clamped correctly any more.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 13:53   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Replace immediately. Usually it’s a halyard wrap which torques the headstay and causes this damage. Do you have a halyard deflector in place?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 14:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Replace immediately. Usually it’s a halyard wrap which torques the headstay and causes this damage. Do you have a halyard deflector in place?
Orion Jim, yes that makes sense. When I first got the boat, the unused spinnaker halyard did get wrapped twice. Then I learned to put the halyard behind the spreader to get it out of the way. I would like to learn about a halyard deflector, if you can tell me how that works. Thanks
Old 04-12-2020, 18:42   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

https://www.harken.com/uploadedfiles...t/PDF/5002.pdf

If you look at page 26 of this Harken furler installation manual you will find a clear and concise example of why a halyard deflector/restrainer is mandatory with most roller furler installations.
If the halyard angle to the furler is too tight a halyard wrap can result.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 19:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
https://www.harken.com/uploadedfiles...t/PDF/5002.pdf

If you look at page 26 of this Harken furler installation manual you will find a clear and concise example of why a halyard deflector/restrainer is mandatory with most roller furler installations.
If the halyard angle to the furler is too tight a halyard wrap can result.
I appreciate you sending that. I did take a look and have been researching halyard deflectors, since I had not hear about them before. The Harken type you showed deflects the jib halyard. That's not my issue. I have a CDI furler where the jib halyard is internal to the luff strip. I don't use the jib halyard on the mast. I'm getting halyard wrap from the spinnaker halyard (unless I put it behind the spreader). I either need some type of crane to move spinnaker halyard forward a bit or other type of deflector. I'm going to call CDI and see what they suggest. Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-12-2020, 19:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesti View Post
Yes, it should be replaced. At the minimum, there is plastic deformation where it shouldn't be, possibly also inner strands broken or not clamped correctly any more.
Thanks Hesti, I learned a new term today "plastic deformation" I knew it wasn't right, but I didn't know what it was called. New forestay is on the todo list.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:53   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

The cure for halyard wrap is generally a mast head crane to move the halyard forward of the jim stay. Fairly inexpensive as boat stuff goes, mine cost about $150 installed.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 17:20   #9

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
The cure for halyard wrap is generally a mast head crane to move the halyard forward of the jim stay. Fairly inexpensive as boat stuff goes, mine cost about $150 installed.

His CDI furler halyard is integral to the forestay luff extrusion, going over a block at extrusion's top end and secured at the fwd side of base of the furler - a novel idea that actually works great on smaller boats - eg Cat. 25 I had it on. Jib halyard isn't used at all...
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 19:23   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
His CDI furler halyard is integral to the forestay luff extrusion, going over a block at extrusion's top end and secured at the fwd side of base of the furler - a novel idea that actually works great on smaller boats - eg Cat. 25 I had it on. Jib halyard isn't used at all...
He seems to be talking about a different kind of halyard wrap: it is getting the spinnaker halyard (not in use) becoming trapped in the sail as it is furled and wrapping up around the stay. In such a case, moving the halyard block away from the forestay should help.

Keeping it quite tight will help, too.

Jim
Old 06-12-2020, 09:25   #11

PineyWoodsPete and Jim Cate, thanks for your input.

You are both correct and seem to be familiar with my problem. I'm looking at RigRite.com and it appears they may have a U-bolt that threads right into my masthead spinnaker block connection and will extend the spinnaker block forward just enough to clear the wrap issue. I'll have to take some measurements and pics, still not sure what brand was used for my mast and masthead.