Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2024, 19:34   #1

Moving the baby stay to the inner forestay position for more deck room?

Hey!

does anyone have any idea if it would be fine to move the baby stay to the inner forestay position for more deck room (particularly, to stow my tender on the foredeck on longer passages)?

besides the lengthening of the babystay to reach the inner forestay (which is hardly ever rigged), it would be pulling the mast (connects at the spreaders) in a slightly more forward angle.

I personally cant see any stability negative effects..... but who am i 🧐
Slight Adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 19:47   #2

Re: Moving the baby stay to the inner forestay position for more deck room?

Old 10-03-2024, 19:59   #3

Please tell us what boat you have, how often you set a staysail and whether you sail protected or blue water.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 19:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slight Adrift View Post
Hey!

does anyone have any idea if it would be fine to move the baby stay to the inner forestay position for more deck room (particularly, to stow my tender on the foredeck on longer passages)?

besides the lengthening of the babystay to reach the inner forestay (which is hardly ever rigged), it would be pulling the mast (connects at the spreaders) in a slightly more forward angle.

I personally cant see any stability negative effects..... but who am i 🧐
From the standpoint of doing its job, a less acute angle is actually better, so you would be improving the force balance. Further forward, the baby stay can keep the mast in column with less overall tension. More forward pull on the mast (which is good) less downward pull (which is not helpful).

You do lose the ability to use a staysail, but if you consider that a fair trade, I don’t see any reason not to.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 20:03   #5

Boat is a 36ft Lavranos monohull. Definitely a "blue water" boat. sailing sydney to fiji in a few months. I never use the inner forestay at the moment. this temporary baby fix is just because i've run out of time before i leave and it seams like the easiest option for the next 6 months. Once i'm back, i'll rig a different option which frees up the inner forestay for me to begin using it.
Old 10-03-2024, 22:23   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, you might want the stay and a staysail on the way from Fiji back to Oz. All it takes is a strong southerly change as you re-enter Oz. [Lavranos designed some very nice boats, imho.] You might actually have the best of both worlds if you set the staysail on a short enough pennant to just clear the dinghy, if there's enough room on the hoist still, for the sail.

This boat is a Solent cutter type, 7/8 fractional rig (matshead kite). We have found that on some points of sail, when you might have the genoa poled out to windward, adding the staysail can be good for an extra knot, when it is too much wind for us to consider the spinnaker.

Ann
Old 11-03-2024, 18:11   #7

Boat: Beneteau 36CC

Hello All,
It’s easy to understand why freeing up a large open area upon the foredeck is an attractive proposal.
One negative occurring to me is the fact is the heavy load presently absorbed by means of a dedicated bulkhead would then be added to forestay load. The loads on my baby stay are occasionally intense, which is why primarily I would not concentrate additional loads to the same structure as the forestay.
The second negative is the thought of paying for new sails . At present the babystay is an obstacle when tacking with my Jennys, obviously if I divide the fore triangle, then for ease of tacking a new jib, and an inner jib sail should be obtained. This would increase the fore triangle sheets to four, with all the associated costs of additional hardware and or relocating existing , tracks , cars, etc.
Reducing the babystay lead angle is appealing, but not at the expense of increasing load to the same point as the forestay.
Best wishes to all!
Sailorichiban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck