Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 07:38   #1

Mast hardware

I have a 1978 Cal-29. About 3/4 of the way up the mast, just past the spreaders, there is a welded thick eyelet. I don't know if it's called a eyelet. It porotruds out and looks as if you would attache something to it, but I don't know what. I am a newbe. Thanks for your help
smilingbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 08:33   #2

Boat: In between boats
Re: Mast hardware

It's possible the last owner was trying to rig lazy jacks. Not every loop or attachment point on a mast/boat is there to serve a critical purpose. some may have been added to support an accessory or personal item. Use it in whatever way your want. Maybe run a small hoist line through it (for a pirate flag).

Happy Sailing!!!
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58   #3

Boat: S & S 43'

Hi Newbe, welcome to the sailing world.
A picture really would help - someone might know what you have up there.
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:22   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sounds like a tang for an inner forestay

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-07-2012, 01:35   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingbobby
I have a 1978 Cal-29. About 3/4 of the way up the mast, just past the spreaders, there is a welded thick eyelet. I don't know if it's called a eyelet. It porotruds out and looks as if you would attache something to it, but I don't know what. I am a newbe. Thanks for your help
Is it one eyelet? Does it protrude to the front?

As someone else said it could be a place to rig a second "inner" forestay. This would be used to attach a storm jib. If it is for this purpose there would be a matching attachment on the foredeck somewhere.

The only other idea I have is someone rigged it to hang the spinnaker pole on the mast or to rig a spinnaker pole lift. Is there a ring at the base of the mast?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingbobby View Post
We owned a Cal 2-29 for quite some while. I believe the fitting you are describing is the anchor point for the spinnaker pole topping lift. Add a swivel block and 3/8" lift-line and you're good to go.

FWIW..
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:50   #7

Thank you. The attaching point is towards the bow. I think it would be for a spinnaker pole topping lift. Someone mentioned a storm jib. At the forward most part of the bow there are two points where you can make a attachment for something. One of them is where I have the roller furler attached. I did not know why there were two attachment points there. Why would I possibly need a inner forestay?
On another note I took her out for the first time last week. Once employed the jib, I thought I was going to get a speeding ticket. She took off, like a rocket!
smilingbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Thank you. The attaching point is towards the bow. I think it would be for a spinnaker pole topping lift
Correct.

Quote:
On another note I took her out for the first time last week. Once employed the jib, I thought I was going to get a speeding ticket. She took off, like a rocket!
The yachts are very fast and very good sea boats. On one race in about 12 knots of wind we (literally) sailed a circle around a friend's Sabre 34 (with a whale tail keel) to prove that we could (oh boy was he unhappy about that!) On another race, the same Sabre was covering us relentlessly to port. When he pushed us past the starboard lay-line into very thin water (for us), where we might have grounded, we eased sheets gybed to starboard and continued around in a 270º behind his stern and came up on the layline on starboard and were 50 yards beyond him when he finally finished his own tack to port. You'll be very happy with the yacht provided you learn to sail her (relatively) flat.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware, mast