Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 13:08   #1

Mack vs. North sails

I have a Stevens 47 and am looking to purchase new sails for offshore passage making. I was originally going to have them made by North but was recently told that Mack was a better option as they are made in the U.S. out of superior fiber.

The cost is far better with Mack but I wanted to see if anyone has used them before? Thanks in advance for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Greenport99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:26   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Mack vs. North sails

We are currently having sails made by Mack. They are a family company that is responsive and customer-oriented.

Both Mack and North can make sails out of any type or brand of cloth you want, so there isn't any issue about "fiber" - just choose the cloth you want.

In the past, we have always found North to be about the most expensive option for comparable sails.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:29   #3

Thanks Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Greenport99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ yea, you can get decent dacron cloth and sails from either but North is expensive, especially given they are paying their Sri Lanka sail makers $3.50/hour.

I might note that the Sri Lanka works are (generally) extremely diligent careful - there's no 'quality' problem there.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 15:34   #5

Mack vs. North sails

I had Mack make me a main several years ago. It couldn't have been made better. The battens sent for my 27' were substantial. Good cloth and good sewing, they delivered both.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 15:56   #6

The North sail I last bought was a good sail, nice shape. It was a bare bones simple sail though. For cruising I would want more handwork , triple stitching, leather in certain wear places etc. I'd go with a small company with good rep even at additional cost myself.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 15:59   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Personally, I think the person - the individual sailmaker that you meet face to face, is more important than the brand.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 16:40   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Bought a suit of sails for my boat from Mack, full batten main with 3 reef points, 135% furling genoa with foam luff, asym spinnaker and a new boom that they sourced through US Spars. They were right on time with delivery, sails were excellent, great price on the Boom and really great to work with. Got the 3 sails and boom for less than a local sail maker quoted for just the main and jib.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 16:44   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Got Mack sails a couple of years ago. Excellent service and that's what you need when getting new sails. No offshore back and forth via FedEx. Nothing like a good local loft.
Old 24-06-2015, 17:27   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

You pay a few more brand name royalties with N, they do win most major races around the world.. But then that is not cruising is it, so why pay more for a cruising sail. Some dacron's are better than others and its up to the sailmaker what they use. I saw a Mack main recently where two different dacron's had been use, maybe you couldn't tell when it was new but you can now! The other sails I've seen of theirs have been okay tho.
Why don't you talk to SVTotem on here, he is currently doing a circumnavigation on a Stevens 47 and he is a sail designer ex Halsey Sails
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 17:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The North sail I last bought was a good sail, nice shape. It was a bare bones simple sail though. For cruising I would want more handwork , triple stitching, leather in certain wear places etc. I'd go with a small company with good rep even at additional cost myself.
Just to agree here add my own 2 cents on North Direct. Im on my second season with a main and lapper. Both had nice shape and are well finished. But as said for offshore or serious coastal Id want triple stitch and much heavier webbing used to attach slides on the main. Though i feel it was a good value mt next sails will be built locally so i can have a more specifically tuned sail and a bit more "tough" built in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 18:01   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
Some dacron's are better than others and its up to the sailmaker what they use.
We are currently having sails made by Mack and I could choose any cloth I wanted. They make recommendations, but they will build sails from any cloth.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 18:30   #13

I have used mack for more than just sails and each time it was done right. With Mack you get the whole team and they are super responsive and make sure you are happy

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cparharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:02   #14

i have switched to Mack because the major lofts are all focused on the racing business. As a test, ask a North sales guy if they can make you a sail that will last 10 years.

They won't like this question, because they want to sell a quasi racing sail that might go five years - more likely two. Then they can sell you another. Like these:

North Sails: Marathon 600 & 680 Upwind Sails

Mack's still building sails with cloth that will last for 10 years.

Sail Cloth

Also, look on the Mack web site for the miter cut genoa. I love mine. Great cruising sail. Ask North to build you one
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:22   #15
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

In the Annapolis Maryland area, I have a ways found North to give the biggest bang for the buck on both racing and cruising sails. Almost any loft can give you the quality you're looking for. Don't be conned by sales rhetoric; determine for yourself the relevant parameters, spec out your sails, and go with the best bid. If your specs are complete, you can make your determination on reputation and price.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails