Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 10:39   #31

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: How to Setup Your Sailboat for Single-Handed Sailing

those mooring hooks might work OK for a mooring ball with a ring on top. But if there is a pennant with a loop (more common where I have been) then there is no choice but to grab the pennant with a boat hook. A big carabiner on the end of a dock line makes it easier to make the first attachment - just snap it on the pennant loop, tend to the engine and then thread the "real" mooring lines through the loop. Then take off the carabiner since it isnt going to be a long term solution anyway.

The hardest thing for me singlehanding is when it is time to raise the anchor. If there is a stiff wind blowing it is really hard to be at the front of the boat and the helm at the same time. Dropping the anchor is pretty easy in comparison. Just coast in to wherever I want to drop it and run up to the windlass and let it go. Not exact science but close enough.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 10:59   #32

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

i find that with the tiller pilot i can put the boat into forward with just enough power to find the wind or current run up and haul up anchor.
Old 27-07-2011, 11:25   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Aussie Sealady, good advice from Eleven.

Maybe you could install a self tailing winch back at the cockpit to use for winching the anchor up. You would probably have to install some stainless plate in a few places to keep the last few feet of chain from damaging the boat.

Or you could install a small anchor windlass near the stern and rig the boat so you can release and retrieve the anchor from the stern. Actually that way, you would be able to use more chain. It would mean constructing some kind of chain locker in one of your stern lockers. There are some sailors on this forum who anchor by the stern on a regular basis.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 12:27   #34

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
The hardest thing for me singlehanding is when it is time to raise the anchor. If there is a stiff wind blowing it is really hard to be at the front of the boat and the helm at the same time.
When my boat is at anchor, if there is some room around me (so that I can avoid using the engine when getting underway), I raise the anchor before hoisting the jib or genoa. This way, the wind exerts less force on the boat.

When the anchor is on deck, the boat bears away on a preselected tack, event without sails. Then I have time to go back to the cockpit, hoist the jib and leave the anchorage without the mainsail. There is no problem to hoist the mainsail later, in open water.

My boat has a fairly wide transom, so that I have steerageway even without sails when going downwind.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 15:11   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
The hardest thing for me singlehanding is when it is time to raise the anchor. If there is a stiff wind blowing it is really hard to be at the front of the boat and the helm at the same time.
When the breeze is that strong I usually just crawl back into the bunk. That's my single hander solution for almost everything.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 19:28   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Well for getting the anchor up, I use one of the jib wenchs to get my rode up, least wise till the chain is visible. That's the only way I can do it. If there is no wind or current, I can walk the anchor rode back to the wench.

If the wind or current is up at all, I bring the the end of the rode that's after my samson post back, leaving a few feet slack and wrap it around the wench and tie it to the cleat. Then go to the bow and unhitch the wraps around the samson post, then back and use the engine controls, which are next to the wench to give me slack while pulling or wenching in the rode.

Getting the anchor up is by far the hardest job sailing for me anyway. First time I tried to pull it up by hand, I found out that my hands were NOT going to do it at all. Using the jib wench is the only way I can do it. Its worked well for me and I anchor alot. Oh I have 20 feet of chain and 200 feet of rope rode. All chain would take a windlass which is not in my current budget. I'm currently anchored out somewhere in the middle of the California Delta.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 05:24   #37

Boat: Seafarer 26
Sailorchic34 thanks I finally understand it this time. I always use sailing gloves with leather on the palms and fingers. They really help for grip and not ripping the sensitive skin. Your technique may work really well for me to be able to use a heavier anchor. Chain is heavy. No getting around that.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 20:48   #38

Boat: Grampion 26

Trip went well and i can single hand the boat pretty good now. Thanks for all the advice and ideas. Here are the things i did and what seemed to work out the best.

1) Advice was to get out and do it single handed, best advice as my boat is small and doing it made it alot easier once i started not depending on another person.

2) Lashing/tieing the tiller off. My tiller has alot of slop, so i still have to correct it alot, but it allows me to run around quickly do things, it was a lifesaver, i just used the dock line and went across the cockpit and looped it once around the tiller handle

3) Ran the mainsail Halyard into the cockpit (it actually had the jam cleat and everything already for it) So i would raise the forsail, then after i got moving i could easily raise/drop the main from the cockpit. (wish i had lazyjacks but did ok without them)

4) Drop sails early and use the motor. I have never anchored under sail, and usually the spots are either windless or too damn tight to sail into and anchor (for me) so i just made sure i wasent in any tight spots sailing single handed.

5) Use smaller sails - that one is mostly for my wife who dosent like the boat to keel, but its also alot easier to sail with smaller sails when your doing it single handed, specially when somthing f's up, or the winds a bit strong and winching the jib gets hard when the rail is near the water =-]

Thats what helped me the most! Have fun sailing!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:51   #39

Boat: Seafarer 26
All the best. Have fun out there.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:12   #40

Boat: Top Hat Mk 2 25 foot

Some great ideas.

I will give the using the jib winch a try for the anchor.

Another suggestion, off line, in the real world is to use the spinnaker halyard.
That way the chain and line goes up in the air and can be handled from the cockpit.

I don't have a a spinnaker so unless I hook up a hammock it is redundant.
And I doubt I will be anchoring whilst swinging in the hammock.

Also the have the hassle that my new anchor does not fit in my anchor locker.
But it holds!!!! Which is a distinct advantage against my old one.

Will try the idea of keeping the anchor aft and running the line outside to the bow.
Will make it easier to anchor solo. And still be able to work the engine and steer.

Some more experimentation required.

A question.

How about the standard rode and chain and then a second light line tied to the anchor? So that the anchor can be hauled off the bottom with only half the chain and vice versa. To reduce the need for muscles.
Or would they get too tangled?

Thank you all and all suggestions welcomed.
p.s.
If anyone is in OZ.

Let me know.
Always good to meet other mad sailors.
Aussie Sealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:24   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"So that the anchor can be hauled off the bottom with only half the chain "
I think no matter how you do it, at some point you will be pulling both the anchor and all the chain up. The alternative would be to use half as much chain, I suppose. But if you're on an abrasive bottom...you're back to chain. Use a bigger winch, or add a block if you must. Or perhaps a longer winch handle, which multiplies your torque.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, sailing, singlehanding