Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21   #1

Boat: Sea Ray 440
HongKong Sailmakers Experience

Interested in getting any feedback from CF members on experience with Hong Kong Sailmakers. I purchased a new mainsail and 110 gen from them for my HR35 Ramus in 1989 most particularly because I was in Hong Kong and had the opportunity to visit their facility and talk to them inperson. As it turned out , they did a great job building crusing sails for me at a reasonable price back then. I now own a Morgan 43 and I am getting ready to order a new mainsail. I was wondering if they have established a reputation good or bad
CaptJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 14:45   #2

Boat: Maxim 380
Re: HongKong Sailmakers Experience

We bought an asymmetrical spinnaker last summer from them. Haven't used it a ton but it seems to be good quality and the service was good. The sock did come with the lines not properly set up but we figured it out and redid them. Not too big a deal.
danchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 14:59   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchua View Post
We bought an asymmetrical spinnaker last summer from them. Haven't used it a ton but it seems to be good quality and the service was good. The sock did come with the lines not properly set up but we figured it out and redid them. Not too big a deal.
Interesting. I brought a used heavy weight asymmetric spinnaker off of a fellow that had only used it once and the sock was a mess. The lines were all twisted and the sock would jam in both directions. I think I know now why he only used it once! I've sorted it out but the sock lines really want to twist themselves up. I've half a mind to do away with the sock altogether.

Aside from that, the sail itself is fine.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 02:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJB View Post
Interested in getting any feedback from CF members on experience with Hong Kong Sailmakers. I purchased a new mainsail and 110 gen from them for my HR35 Ramus in 1989 most particularly because I was in Hong Kong and had the opportunity to visit their facility and talk to them inperson. As it turned out , they did a great job building crusing sails for me at a reasonable price back then. I now own a Morgan 43 and I am getting ready to order a new mainsail. I was wondering if they have established a reputation good or bad
Just finished sewing the head section back on a radial cut furling genoa they had made a year previously. The horizontal seams are failing. 30mm seam and 2 rows of zigzag on a headsail for a 50+ft catamaran. Like a lot of sailmakers in this part of the world the workmanship is good, but the engineering was missing.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail, sailmaker