Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2023, 08:57   #1

Boat: 1997 Bavaria 46E
Harken 56-2 Electric stopped working

I have 2 ea Harken 56-2 electric primaries. We were using one to haul me up and down the rigging this morning. I was down on deck, ready to go back up and the winch no longer turns.

There are 2 control buttons, fast speed/slow speed. There is a click when you press either button, which I assume is the relay.

I've attached photos. There appears to be a fuse. I took a photo of the fuse for the other winch to see the label/specs.

Suggestions for how to proceed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	277076   Click image for larger version

Name:	relay label.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	277077  

Name:	label on fuse.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	277078  
raingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 09:06   #2

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran
Re: Harken 56-2 Electric stopped working

Find that relay that clicks and see if there is power there? If no power at both posts while it clicks, then you need a relay. Check fuse for continuity, probably not the problem since that relay is clicking. You could also swap components from the working side.
Old 21-06-2023, 09:20   #3

Going aloft on an electric winch is EXTRA dangerous. We have the absolute rule that if the winch is being is being powered up, the self-tailer is NEVER, EVER used. The line MUST ALWAYS be tailed manually. If that means having a third person attending, so much the better. Having the winch stuck ON with the line in the self tailer can be every bit as dangerous to all involved as falling.

For an absolutely horrific description of what can happen:
https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/th...ntigua.122374/

If the main control relay gets stuck ON (it DOES happen!) there are very, very few boats that have a way of stopping the winch from running away convenient to the cockpit.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 09:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Going aloft on an electric winch is EXTRA dangerous. We have the absolute rule that if the winch is being is being powered up, the self-tailer is NEVER, EVER used. The line MUST ALWAYS be tailed manually. If that means having a third person attending, so much the better. Having the winch stuck ON with the line in the self tailer can be every bit as dangerous to all involved as falling.

For an absolutely horrific description of what can happen:
https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/th...ntigua.122374/

If the main control relay gets stuck ON (it DOES happen!) there are very, very few boats that have a way of stopping the winch from running away convenient to the cockpit.

thanks, that's great advice
Old 21-06-2023, 10:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
Find that relay that clicks and see if there is power there? If no power at both posts while it clicks, then you need a relay. Check fuse for continuity, probably not the problem since that relay is clicking. You could also swap components from the working side.

Voltage from battery to relay, and there's voltage from relay to motor on both posts at the motor (same as the working motor/winch) when pressing the control buttons.

I don't understand, however, why there is voltage on both #1 and #2 at the motor regardless of which speed is selected? What tells the motor which direction to turn? (I'm not knowledgeable on this stuff.)

Fuse has continuity.

Below is the wiring schematic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 11.14.38 AM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	277079  
Old 21-06-2023, 10:38   #6

Good of you to include schematic. Are you saying that this winch is powered in both directions or has two powered speeds in one direction cuz I don't see the wiring for a reverse?
Looking at schematic, A1 and A2 are the two speeds. If you have power on both at same time then that relay is welded closed and needs replacement. I'll wait for you to verify before pressing on.
Old 21-06-2023, 10:54   #7

Never mind... you are ahead of me already...

And check the main breaker. The little breaker you have pictured is for the COIL side of the relay. If you hear it clicking, that side is fine, as are the switches. If you can hear it click, it is very unlikely that the relay has failed in such a way that neither speed works. Almost surely there is nothing getting to the power terminals on the relay, or the motor itself has an issue.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 11:05   #8

Quote:
Good of you to include schematic. Are you saying that this winch is powered in both directions or has two powered speeds in one direction cuz I don't see the wiring for a reverse?
Looking at schematic, A1 and A2 are the two speeds. If you have power on both at same time then that relay is welded closed and needs replacement. I'll wait for you to verify before pressing on.

It's a 2 speed in same direction. That was confusing when I said which direction to turn...should have said which SPEED to turn.

What's confusing to me, is the working winch has power at the motor to both terminals (1, 1) regardless of which A1 or A2 button I press. Ditto for the non-working winch motor.

One other piece of info:
When I first discovered the non-working winch, I was unable to insert a winch handle (push the rod down), to test if the winch would turn. I could sort of get the handle in, and it would only turn slow speed, I couldn't turn the handle in the other direction (like it was locked).
I loosened the screw and removed the rod, and put back together, and now it will manually turn both speeds. However, not with the motor.

If you have other suggestions, I'm open.

I'm thinking I will try swapping relays...but it's 'boat yoga' to get to the thing, and I have to empty the cockpit locker to get to it...
Old 21-06-2023, 11:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Never mind... you are ahead of me already...

And check the main breaker. The little breaker you have pictured is for the COIL side of the relay. If you hear it clicking, that side is fine, as are the switches. If you can hear it click, it is very unlikely that the relay has failed in such a way that neither speed works. Almost surely there is nothing getting to the power terminals on the relay, or the motor itself has an issue.

Thanks, I'm beginning to suspect the motor...Any way to test?
Old 21-06-2023, 11:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingolfer View Post
It's a 2 speed in same direction. That was confusing when I said which direction to turn...should have said which SPEED to turn.

What's confusing to me, is the working winch has power at the motor to both terminals (1, 1) regardless of which A1 or A2 button I press. Ditto for the non-working winch motor.

One other piece of info:
When I first discovered the non-working winch, I was unable to insert a winch handle (push the rod down), to test if the winch would turn. I could sort of get the handle in, and it would only turn slow speed, I couldn't turn the handle in the other direction (like it was locked).
I loosened the screw and removed the rod, and put back together, and now it will manually turn both speeds. However, not with the motor.

If you have other suggestions, I'm open.

I'm thinking I will try swapping relays...but it's 'boat yoga' to get to the thing, and I have to empty the cockpit locker to get to it...
OK so knowing this we have power at motor and then of course to both sides
of relay. The switches then are your lead to ground. Get to the switches and put a test light on them as you press each one. Should be a break and then continuity when pushed, if all is well. Look for brown wires 1 and 2.

A raw motor test is to bypass all the relays and switches using a heavy wire to the motor.
In your case we are leaving the hot side as it is (remove one hot side at a time directly on motor for test) and using this heavy wire to ground the motor. Attach the heavy wire to (-) neg on battery and then touch the other end against the motor casing.
Old 21-06-2023, 12:27   #11

Quote:
OK so knowing this we have power at motor and then of course to both sides
of relay. The switches then are your lead to ground. Get to the switches and put a test light on them as you press each one. Should be a break and then continuity when pushed, if all is well. Look for brown wires 1 and 2.

A raw motor test is to bypass all the relays and switches using a heavy wire to the motor.
In your case we are leaving the hot side as it is (remove one hot side at a time directly on motor for test) and using this heavy wire to ground the motor. Attach the heavy wire to (-) neg on battery and then touch the other end against the motor casing.

UPDATE:

Using the old "hit the starter motor" trick, when I 'tap' on the motor housing and press a button, the motor runs/winch turns. Works for both speeds. However, when the motor stops, it won't run again without a tap on the motor case. And, at the high speed, sometimes the motor sounds like it's laboring.

I'll disconnect power and clean all 3 terminals on the motor, to be sure I don't have that as an issue.

I'll also figure out how to run the test you suggest.
Old 21-06-2023, 12:33   #12

Ah, the old whack it with a hammer trick. Forget the test now.
Brushes (probably) or bearings (less so) are on the way out. Can these be rebuilt, probably worth a search, betting they are pricey?
Old 21-06-2023, 12:34   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If a tap gets it going, that sounds like brushes. I would also check for any voltage between the motor ground terminal and the battery ground.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 13:32   #14

I'm going to attempt to take the motor off. Do you think I can do it by removing the circled nuts?
Hoping there aren't going to be bits an pieces falling out...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motor diagram.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	277087  
Old 21-06-2023, 13:53   #15

And if I may add:

Photos of motor housing. I don't suppose there would be access to brushes without taking motor out?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side of motor housing.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	277090   Click image for larger version

Name:	end of motor housing.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	277091  

Tags