Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 13:56   #1

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35
First Haul Out

We will be hauling our Niagara 35 out for the winter for the first time on October 5th. We are not removing our mast. We have never removed the mail sail or jib before and don't know where to start in terms of: what lines come off, which ones, if any remain, in what order we should start removing the sails, how to best store them (some people I hear store them below deck, others take them home). The jib is self furling and the main is attached to the boom. We would appreciate any help. If you have any instructions, can recommend a youtube video or otherwise point us in the right direction. It would be much appreciated.
Prism
Prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 16:20   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: First Haul Out

I think you should just jump in there and figure it out for yourselves. It's not a very big deal and you should be able to do all this stuff. Even if you don't go about everything in the right way, you will still learn and not much can go wrong if you don't.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 17:01   #3

Boat: csy 37

Hopefully there will be other sailors hauling out with you who can offer help and/or advice.

For the roller furler jib, roll it all the way out, disconnect it from the roller at the tack, loose the halyard, and pull the sail down and out of the luff slot and on to the deck.

The main should be a bit more obvious. Hoist the main, remove the pin at the tack which secures it to the boom, remove the pin at the luff slot, pull the foot of the sail towards the boom to remove it from the boom track, then lower the main to the deck, pulling it out of the luff slot as it comes down. Sometimes its easier to leave the foot in the boom and drop the main out by the luff first, then pull the foot out.

Reading the above, it occurs to me that its really easier than my instructions imply.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 17:37   #4

Boat: csy 37

By the way, you should take the sails off before hauling out. Some yards do not want you raising sail while you are on jackstands.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:40   #5

Your comments are so very helpful. Now what do we do with the lines? do we just pull them back to the cockpit, bag them and leave them aboard? Also someone told us we should take the boom off? How is this done?
Old 25-09-2014, 12:06   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Lines: Whatever you do, make sure that the end of the halyards, (the end which was connected to the head of the sails) is securely fastened to something at deck level. Last thing you want to see is that line disappearing over the sheaves at the top of the mast.
For the jib/genoa, the halyard will be connected to the top swivel. What I do is use a line to secure the top swivel to the furling drum.

Just take your time, go slow, and you will have it figured out.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 12:12   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

And whatever you do take a lot of pics because you will have forgotten what you did in the spring. Good luck. It's not that difficult really. Ask around the boatyard. I'd be more worried about winterizing the engine and the FW system.
Old 25-09-2014, 12:15   #8

Thanks, gosh, so may dumb questions : ( , just one more (for now)

What about the boomvang, traveller and cunningham? Do all those lines have to come off, or can they be left on the boat.

So appreciated.

Regards
Prism
Old 25-09-2014, 12:18   #9

Yeah, we're hopefully getting the attention of the guy who owns the marina to do that for us (with us). The pictures is a great idea. Thanks
Old 25-09-2014, 12:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prism View Post
Thanks, gosh, so may dumb questions : ( , just one more (for now)

What about the boomvang, traveller and cunningham? Do all those lines have to come off, or can they be left on the boat.

So appreciated.

Regards
Prism
Unless the boat is going to be covered remove as many lines as possible. Remove the vang and boom and store inside the cabin. It's amazing what freezing water can do. I have seen mast spreaders split from water freezing. Also make sure the boat sits so that water will drain out of the cockpit.

And again take pictures before you remove the lines so that you'll know how to rig it in the spring. I just rewired my instrument panel. Thank god for i-phones!!
Old 25-09-2014, 12:49   #11

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

Prism --

This reminds me of myself last year when we hauled our first boat. I thought it would be so very complicated, tried doing research and couldn't really find a lot of info.

Turns out, I was in a tizzy for nothing....it is pretty straight forward. Best advice I did get, and has already been offered here, is take a lot of pics. We stored our sails and lines, and any extras at home, as we figured it certainly wouldn't HURT them, so, why not. Also, as has been mentioned, make sure you have your halyard end attached to something, and secure your jib line to the drum. We used a bungy.

Onestep's instructions are pretty spot on.

We laid our sails out on the dock and folded them there (make sure it's not a windy day!), secured them with a line, and they stayed that way all winter.

Good luck, you'll do fine. Just another step on the journey!
Old 25-09-2014, 12:50   #12

Prism is to be partially shrink wrapped on her cradle (mast to cockpit, partially open at the back). Haul out is October 11th, Treasure Island, Kingston. Do you store your sails in the boat as well, or bring them home. I have been told to open a bag of BBQ briquettes and keep it below to soak up moist in the air? Any thoughts?
Old 25-09-2014, 12:58   #13

I take the sails and upholstery home. Also instruments that can be removed (vhf,GPS etc.) And anything that should not be frozen or can burst when frozen (canned goods,cleaning supplies etc.). The charcoal won't do anything.
Old 25-09-2014, 12:59   #14

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Check to insure that your mast will have drained out. Last year a mast split at the bottom in our marina on Vancouver Island. Apparently the mast has an inside stiffener (like a baffle that ran a few feet from the bottom) one side had a drain while the other side didn't. This boat was in the water in the mild climate of lower Vancouver Island. Freezing water can cause extreme damage.
Old 25-09-2014, 13:00   #15

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Do you need to remove your sails and running rigging? Some yards may require it. I had my old boat hauled out every other year, and almost every time I left the sails bent on. I put a few wraps around the furling headsail and some years wrapped a line around the mainsail. The only year I had a small problem was when I didn't wrap the mainsail and in a gale the tip of the sail somehow found its way out of the sail cover. If you do need to remove your sails, I suggest doing it before the boat is hauled.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out