Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 11:30   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
DIY Wing Mast Questions

Guys, I've been curious about wing masts for ages. Meaning building one myself for a mid-sized multihull. And I'm wondering what the more common methods for attaching stays & shrouds are any more? I know that on say PRB there are holes through the mast tube for Spectra (Dyneema) Loops, to which the stays are attached. And on other boats there are stainless rotator hounds instead.

The question is, what's the most reliable method of attaching one's stays, including a furler for the jib? How often do various components need swapping so that the mast doesn't suffer any failures & fall? Plus any other key questions I forgot to ask/need to know when seriously considering building one. Such as can the shrouds be connected to a different point on the mast than the headstay or forestays? And what factors influence such things?

Obviously the tech & options as to how to attach shrouds, stays, & other structural bits have advanced quite a bit in the last few years. With a plethora of options for soft attachments using Dyneema, & fittings akin to Ropeye & other soft padeyes. That said, please pretend that I know naught about what's available, & help me to get educated on this. Both self-educated, & schooled by wizened sailors & riggers.

Also, I'm curious to hear folks thoughts on the pro's & con's of Colligo Marine's soft furler.
Extra Light Headsail Furling Sytem — Colligo Marine®
And if you have one is it an improvement over standard furlers, & or structural furlers? Would you buy another one, & why or why not?

Bottom line, what are the better routes to pursue if starting from scratch, to build a DIY wing mast for a cat or tri in the 30'-45' LOA range? And any & all links to relavent info pages, or hardware would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!

PS: I'm thinking wood/epoxy, or wood/epoxy with some carbon. But not a purely carbon spar. With halyards for a: mainsail, jib, solent/staysail, code 0/screecher, & a spinnaker. And structural furlers are an option to some degree.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08   #2

Re: DIY Wing Mast Questions

Forget about mixing carbonfibre and wood. They do not work together in any useful way.
At first carbon will carry almost all the load, and if it's strong enough to do that all the wood is just extra weight high up and a lot of time and money spent for nothing while building it. If it is not strong enough it will break and the wood has to be strong enough to carry it all by itself. If it is all the carbon was nothing but extra cost.
With wood you can mix with (E or S2 or R) -glass or basalt, not with carbon, and aramids cost too much and are not useful due to low properties in compression.

Second point is that wood can be better than aluminium only when it has a significantly larger section. That works very well with airfoil shaped wing mast as long as you are sailing the boat. While docking you will see all the disadvantages, since it will still produce aerodynamic forces you don't want it to do. With a same size section, aluminium will weigh less, and require substantially less extra reinforcement at the connections. Aluminium also is far better choice in case of a lighting strike, when properly grounded it will protect you and you boat as well as itself. Wooden mast do not and any carbon will only make it worse.
Just Another Sa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast