Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 03:42   #46

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Bent mast - replace, repair or use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjor View Post

The picture show how we today moved the mast to the nearby workshop (the distance was three whiskybottles)

Attachment 236484
Attachment 236483
Hmmm.....is that three whiskey bottles lying end to end, the length of the carriers lined end to end after consuming three whiskey bottles, or three whiskey bottles in trade goods ( full or empty) ? Either, sounds like a good deal.
Old 14-04-2021, 08:08   #47

Quote:
Thank you all for good comments and advice. Today we moved the mast to the workshop. So I look forward to see how it turns out. The workshop will examine the mast for any structural flaws, and consider to do straightening if relevant.

Anyway, I look forward to monitor the mast, and the trim, and how it performs, when I go sailing againg.

The picture show how we today moved the mast to the nearby workshop (the distance was three whiskybottles)

Attachment 236484
Attachment 236483
Yep looks perfectly straight! Good job. Oh... wait, you haven't bent it at the shop yet! You're gonna need one short guy on the end after you are done bending it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 16:14   #48

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Thank you all for good comments and advice. Today we moved the mast to the workshop. So I look forward to see how it turns out. The workshop will examine the mast for any structural flaws, and consider to do straightening if relevant.

Anyway, I look forward to monitor the mast, and the trim, and how it performs, when I go sailing againg.

Attachment 236484
Attachment 236483
pity help the tall guy in the middle...

cheers,
Old 14-04-2021, 17:30   #49

It is probably a whip, cause by transport ! If the mast was transported, and not properly supported, it can cause the situation you are dealing with ! Ask me how I know ! That can be corrected with rig tension adjustment ! It is very annoying, and it makes you wonder ! Ours has a greater whip in it, and it's been that way for about 40 yrs !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 06:56   #50

I had a worse bend in a 40ft mast on a prout snow goose home build. I had spreaders fabricated with stainless steel rigging wires to make a diamond to take the bend out and strengthen the mast. Used an industrial pop rivet gun to mount the plates..worked well.
alan de t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 10:19   #51

Everyone is giving you their opinion about replacing the mast but no one has addressed the cause of the problem.
The mast bent from incorrect tension on the upper shrouds. Several reasons come to mind that could cause this.
How often did you have a rigger tune the rig????
Was the rigger that did it really certified?
Did the rigger use a tensioning gauge to adjust the shrouds?
Has anyone checked the chain plates for movement??

At this point I would determine why it happened before replacing the mast.
sailorman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 10:58   #52

My snow goose was a home build and whoever put it together used a lighter spec extrusion than Prouts used which would have been OK if there had been sufficient shrouds and cap shrouds..the latter it didn’t have. Alright in theory for coastal sailing but it cruised extensively.
I would suggest that you read up on how rigging works as imho you can’t rely on a rigger at sea as forces change with wind strengths and temperatures.
I worked out what I thought was wrong and how to remedy it; took photos and dimensions to a spar manufacturer and they made me up two sets of cross trees, plates, rigging wire and supplied me with the correct rivets and an industrial rivet gun. They shipped the lot out to france where I was on the sommes..I fixed the bits on and when I had the mast put back up I used a plumb line and eye of sight to sort it out.
Fine adjustment was made after a hard sail.
Good luck
alan de t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 15:01   #53

Aluminium can be bent and straightened without creating fatigue stress. That means the material is not weakened by the process. The maximum bend angle for this is 13 degrees. If your bend is within that limit just use the rigging to straighten the mast.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast