Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 19:17   #1

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Barient Winch sizes

I’ve got eleven Barient winches from #16 up to #32 on my boat. They were all new on our 49 year-old boat when launched. They have all served well and reliably, though they don’t get equal use. For example, the mizzen sheet winch is really over-kill.
Now the main sheet winch- that’s a different story. My lovely wife has never been described as robust. Though it’s not planned this way, seems like she always has to trim the main sheet. We’re in our mid-seventies, and increased upper-body strength is probably not in the cards. So it seems like that #16 sheet winch is a candidate for upgrade. It’s mounted on the cabin roof, so I’d like to be able to use the same mounting bolt circle. If I could find a used Barient #16 two-speed self-tailer, that would be ideal.
But does such a thing even exist? Since we’re “all Barient, all the time” I’d like to stick with that. I don’t necessarily have to have a #16, but would jump on anything that has the same bolt mounting pattern.
If that’s not possible, where can I find information from other winch makers regarding mounting specifics or interchangeability?
Old 04-10-2022, 00:25   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Barient Winch sizes

Suggest you call Bacon Sails in Annapolis. They deal a lot in used winches and could probably help you.

Are your winches self tailing? That makes line handling much easier.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 16:08   #3

Ebay, there are a pair of 17's for sale right now. Self tailing.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 18:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
......If I could find a used Barient #16 two-speed self-tailer, that would be ideal.
But does such a thing even exist? Since we’re “all Barient, all the time” I’d like to stick with that. I don’t necessarily have to have a #16, but would jump on anything that has the same bolt mounting pattern.
If that’s not possible, where can I find information from other winch makers regarding mounting specifics or interchangeability?
A good webpage resource for Barients is on the L36 page found here. On the page are links comparing different brand winches, hole patterns, etc.

Within the Barient catalog found on the page is a list of Barient winches, sizing guide, mounting hole dimensions, etc.

Otherwise the same webpage links to maintenance manuals of seemingly most old and common Barient winches.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barient, size, winch