Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 18:16   #16

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors
Don,

For HF, you might consider a full-time solution, like an "alternate backstay" antenna which is easy and inexpensive to build, very robust in the marine environment, and which functions as well or better than a traditional backstay antenna.

Just use a length of insulated 3/16" s/s lifeline, more than 23' in length, and string it up on a spare halyard. Tie the lower end to the pushpit on one side, feed it from a tuner underdeck with GTO-15. With an appropriate counterpoise (like the KISS-SSB radial system, your own radial system, or other) it will tune all bands, marine and amateur and will work very well. Here's one way to make the GTO-15 to antenna connection:
http://wdsg.com/gallery/main.php?g2_...geViewsIndex=1

Inverted V's are OK insofar as they go, but they are not really seagoing antennas ("rig them at anchor") and they have a high vertical angle of radiation....not at all good for DX, but fine for relatively close contacts.

If you really want an honest-to-god killer single-band HF antenna, think about a vertical dipole. I make them from s/s lifeline, too, and you can't beat them for DX on 20 meters and above. Construction details for a real marinized one -- able to withstand hurricane-force winds -- are given on my website here: Marine Antennas

Bill
WA6CCA
Bill, excellent idea. I did check with my rigging guy about a insulated back stay but that was way too expensive for my blood. I am going to noodle what you have said here and see how I can pull that off. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

Don
N1FVB
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:43   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Antenna mounts near mast cap

Here is my set-up. VHS on top of the main on the stbd side. Wind instruments elevated and forward; windex elevated and aft; lightening arrestor on port; aquasignal tower center. I have since added a BIBI LED windex light tothe base of the Windex stalk. I would keep the mass low (aluminum or heavy fiberglass)

I also have a split on top of the mizzen and two more VHF antennas. This is a 1" SS pipe. The center strut was intended for a Shakespear TV antenna (removed) YOu also see the Mizzen Windex mounted on a Fiberglass U-Channel cantelevered to stbd. Also added later is a BIBI WIndex light.

We have a primary VHS on the main; secondary VHS in an aft cockpit locker using an antenna on the mizzen; AIS uses the second mizzen antenna. I like the suggestion of mounting on a spreader as long as there is no chance of mucking up a sail.

The SS mounts all demonstrated corrosion and I had to up-size the screws on the re-fit and paint job. Lots of goop in the threads now. I recommend not mixing your metals. You can get pultruded fiberglass shapes from McMaster-Carr as well as aluminum extrusions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1581 ex.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	38339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586 ex.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	38340  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596 ex.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	38341  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:24   #18

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58
Here is my set-up. VHS on top of the main on the stbd side. Wind instruments elevated and forward; windex elevated and aft; lightening arrestor on port; aquasignal tower center. I have since added a BIBI LED windex light tothe base of the Windex stalk. I would keep the mass low (aluminum or heavy fiberglass)

I also have a split on top of the mizzen and two more VHF antennas. This is a 1" SS pipe. The center strut was intended for a Shakespear TV antenna (removed) YOu also see the Mizzen Windex mounted on a Fiberglass U-Channel cantelevered to stbd. Also added later is a BIBI WIndex light.

We have a primary VHS on the main; secondary VHS in an aft cockpit locker using an antenna on the mizzen; AIS uses the second mizzen antenna. I like the suggestion of mounting on a spreader as long as there is no chance of mucking up a sail.

The SS mounts all demonstrated corrosion and I had to up-size the screws on the re-fit and paint job. Lots of goop in the threads now. I recommend not mixing your metals. You can get pultruded fiberglass shapes from McMaster-Carr as well as aluminum extrusions.
Very nice setup. Plenty of food for thought.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:34   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Just to add to the mix:

The bonding system should be attached at only one point to battery negative.
If the rigging is attached to the bonding system/battery negative, is that the masthead?
Just asking.

I insulated my Wi/Fi and VHF antenna mounts from the mast.
The only connection between bonding and battery negative is at one spot, a honking big negative post about two feet away from the engine.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:38   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

By the way, on my rig photos, the Windex stalk extensions are carbon firber archery arrows. Cheap and available in two diameters.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna