Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Is it worth it to replace factory thru-hulls with Proper Flanged Thru-hulls
Yes, I've done it. 23 35.94%
Yes, the boat I have came with Proper Flanged Thru-hulls 13 20.31%
Yes you should, but I haven't done it on my boat yet. 5 7.81%
Yes, in my non-boat-owning opinion. 0 0%
No, don't waste your time and money 23 35.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2022, 18:04   #196

Re: The cult of the Proper Flanged Thru-hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It’s up to every owner to make sure their boats are safe, their seacocks have not dezincified, and to understand that the manufacturers have covered themselves with written statements that include requirements like mandatory yearly inspections by professional experts and complete replacement every 5 years or even less (“some years of use”), which no owner can afford. You’re on your own, nobody is coming to help, it’s up to you.
Jedi you nailed it so perfectly right there in this post
Old 13-09-2022, 18:11   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I wasn’t talking about cathodic protection , I was talking about the standard practice of connecting all underwater metals to a anode but equally connecting that to dc negative and ac earth , that’s known as equi-potential bonding

This is very common on US sailboats \.
"Very Common" BAHAHAHAAAA Now THATS FUNNY !!

Your whole earlier rant was on "bonding thru hulls" and thats why they are failing --- Man you really change your stories alot ! LOL

Even still I have never see that, If its out there its very rare without Galvanic Isolaters !-- Go ahead right now, name the Boat and Manufacturer that is doing that without galvanic isolators !

I keep posting with facts AND at least I have corroborating data -- I'd like to see more than bloviating. You haven't posted anything to back up anything you've said.
Old 13-09-2022, 18:13   #198
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The cult of the Proper Flanged Thru-hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenator View Post
"Very Common" BAHAHAHAAAA Now THATS FUNNY !!

Your whole earlier rant was on "bonding thru hulls"

Even still I have never see that, If its out there its very rare !-- Go ahead right now, name the Boat and Manufacturer that is doing that !

I keep posting with facts AND at least I have corroborating data -- I'd like to see more than bloviating. You haven't posted anything to back up anything you've said.

From memory I’ve seen in on a passport a hunter , a tartan and an island packet. Cant think of the others I’ve seen it on , I was in a Hinckley and a Morris but can’t recollect.

I’m specifically taking about equipotential bonding as Laid out by ABYC

( though ABYC gets grounding and bonding mixed up together. That’s part of the issues )
Old 13-09-2022, 18:17   #199

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Have you ever even seen a Maestrini ball valve?
Perhaps the valve on the right was not a Maestrini valve, but it was definitely Italian made.
The Italian valves were even rated at a higher pressure.
However, after twice assembling two fuel manifolds, using 8 valves, (3/8ths pipe size,) that leaked from the valves, I replaced the Italian valves with ones from Apollo, (the one on the left,) no leaks.
You can easily see the difference in robustness between them.
When fittings were tightened into the Italian valves the thin shells simply expanded which ruined the seal, or the male threads bottomed out before a seal could be established.
I know it's but a sample of a few, but much of what I've encountered in European boat fittings, (and the boats themselves,) are what might be referred to as "Effete" construction.
Kind of similar to the leather jackets and shoes they make, striving to make the leather as thin as possible, to be "fashionable".
Oh, the Apollo valves didn't cost that much more, the Italian valves went in the scrap metal bin.
I'll admit to some bias, but I'll also cast a close look at any boat fitting from Europe that needs to be "heavy duty"
Old 14-09-2022, 15:35   #200
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Several posts deleted / edited to remove ad hominem attacks.
Closed.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread

Tags
hull, rope