Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2023, 16:42   #1

Boat: Sea Lord 35
Spectra 400 vane pump overheat

I've just tried to start up our (new to us) Spectra 400 water maker. The vane pump gets hot and draws excessive amps eventually popping the CB.

I think that someone tried in the past to convert the system to manual mode but the plumbing arrangements don't match anything in the tech manual for that and neither is it plumbed for automatic.

Question 1 - Can the product water be taken right off the end of the membrane as shown in the pic? The small black tube coming off the end of the membrane by the gray tape goes to the tanks. The manual indicates the check valve should be removed and the product line hooked up the to diversion valve. You can see the check valve is still in place.

Question 2 - There's also a small white tube coming from beside the check valve that goes nowhere (for some reason the pictures uploaded upside down) . What's that attachment point for on the Clark pump?

Question 3 - What would cause such a high draw on the vane pump? I suspect bad brushes but had anyone experienced anything else that caused this? Flow is good, the filters are good, the system produces good water until the breaker pops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231002_154420.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	281655   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231002_154240.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	281656  

Copper Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 18:58   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Spectra 400 vane pump overheat

Our Spectra [Santa Cruz model] has 2 Shurflo vane pumps. Both pumps have what appears to be an add-on external cooling fin sleeve that fits over the motor, each with pancake fan at the top to pull cooling air across the fins.

Ours came that way with the boat, so I don’t know if that is standard air an add-on item. Those pumps never have overheated in the 10 years we have been using them [cruising full time]- and they are installed in the engine room.

In case this is useful.

Cheers, Bill
Old 02-10-2023, 20:06   #3

Boat: Selene 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper Dog View Post
I've just tried to start up our (new to us) Spectra 400 water maker. The vane pump gets hot and draws excessive amps eventually popping the CB.

What pressure does the system develop before the breaker pops?
AlyeskaMaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 20:07   #4

Boat: Selene 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Our Spectra [Santa Cruz model] has 2 Shurflo vane pumps. Both pumps have what appears to be an add-on external cooling fin sleeve that fits over the motor, each with pancake fan at the top to pull cooling air across the fins.

Ours came that way with the boat, so I don’t know if that is standard air an add-on item. Those pumps never have overheated in the 10 years we have been using them [cruising full time]- and they are installed in the engine room.

In case this is useful.

Cheers, Bill

That's the standard configuration for the Shurflo pumps in a Santa Cruz model watermaker.
AlyeskaMaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:57   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyeskaMaritime View Post
That's the standard configuration for the Shurflo pumps in a Santa Cruz model watermaker.
Thank you. Good to know. I have never seen another Santa Cruz besides ours, and have not had to purchase replacement pumps [so far…]

Cheers, Bill

Tags
pump