Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 16:15   #121

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Small watermaker 3 gph

The 116C Pumptec pump is stainless steel. I would think that an aluminum pump will not last long in a high pressure, salt water environment.

Regarding the use of the longer, -21" membrane, by all means, do it. These membranes are consumables and it is better to replace them once per season but enjoy the higher output. Regarding the noise, it often happens that you are either not on the boat or running the engine and then you would not care about the noise. When I had the boat, you would go to Catalina, then leave the boat for 5-6 hours. You come back and you have 20 gallons of fresh water in the tank.

However, I do see the point in having a larger capacity unit. These days I am on a generator powered boat and my next project will be a pressure washer water pump watermaker. In this project, instead of replacing the membrane for $200 every season (due to the low flow), I would be replacing the pressure washer pump for $100 every season.

Regards,
Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 19:53   #122

Boat: C&C 34

HI Pizzazz,

You mentioned that you were building a 21" membrane 2 pump set up for someone. How did that work out?

Thanks
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 17:22   #123

PumpTec has the 116C back in stock.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:49   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
PumpTec has the 116C back in stock.
Interestingly, https://www.pumptec.com/products/116C-series-pumps shows 107SS.

They replaced the model?
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:56   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
my next project will be a pressure washer water pump watermaker.
Looking forward too see this.
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:03   #126

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

And I see the 107SS is a completely different design. I imagine it should work the same.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:57   #127

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
And I see the 107SS is a completely different design. I imagine it should work the same.

I suspect the internals are the same, in fact they show the same repair kit as before.

The cast ss body was pretty intricate and had quite a few machined surfaces. At low volumes it was probably cheaper to go with a fully machined body.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:50   #128

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoimene View Post
Looking forward too see this.
There are many pressure washer pump designs, so don't expect much. It uses a K2 pump and a 2540 membrane, generator driven. The idea is to make all parts line replaceable units, so that the pump ($60), motor ($90) and membrane ($200) can be replaced as often as needed, every 1-2 seasons. I am convinced that this is less hassle for a motorboat than any other option.

For example, just servicing or winterizing a regular water maker is $150 here. Cruising the Greek islands, water becomes the major constraint, even with 250 gallons on board. It is not potable water that is the problem, it is everything else. Another issue is where I dock the boat over the winter... they disconnect the water supply from Nov to May. Hence the above design. It fills a very specific need I have, not the typical cruiser's need.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 16:26   #129

Had a very bad experience with HCTI. Ordered a membrane and pressure vessel from them. They were supposed to be in stock but ended up not being.

A week delay and the pressure vessel ended up coming damaged in the mail. They agreed to send a replacement, I had to pay for it and get refunded when I send the old one back. Ok, not great but I understand.

They only had natural ones in stock so I said no problem just refund me the $40 difference and it is all good. They said no because prices went up since I bought it two weeks ago and they cannot refund the difference. I need to eat the $40 or wait at least a week for a white one.

Just plain bad customer service. Not recommended and never again for me.
Old 28-07-2022, 16:25   #130

Boat: Schionning 35

Has anyone tried the xte ( extra low energy) membrane from DuPont.

Unless I’m understanding their fact sheet wrong it’s max pressure is 800psi and it’s flowing at 100 psi. If that’s the case it will make this little water makers output go through the roof as obviously the throughput of all pumps tail off with pressure. Can someone tell me what I’m missing before I throw down the cash!!

https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/d...-D01515-en.pdf
Seafever17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 17:05   #131

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafever17 View Post
Has anyone tried the xte ( extra low energy) membrane from DuPont.

Unless I’m understanding their fact sheet wrong it’s max pressure is 800psi and it’s flowing at 100 psi. If that’s the case it will make this little water makers output go through the roof as obviously the throughput of all pumps tail off with pressure. Can someone tell me what I’m missing before I throw down the cash!!

https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/d...-D01515-en.pdf
I'm no expert and I'm just reading the spec sheet for the extra low energy membrane. The spec shows the test data was derived using a 500 ppm NaCl feed stream. Sea water is more like 32,000 ppm TDS. So, it appears this membrane is not designed for use with sea water. Not all membranes are designed for sea water.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 17:35   #132

Boat: Schionning 35

Awwwh…. That would be it. More for polishing already fresh water rather converting it from salt.Thanks !
Seafever17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 15:09   #133

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Hi
And thank to everyone who has posted information and discussions here.
I am at the point of ordering the parts. Hopefully can get shipped to canada.

My questions are,

what size connections from pump to vessel and then for needle valve and gauge.

I am cloudy with how it functions.
Please be gentle

Raw (filtered) water enters the pump.
Pump pressurizes the raw water and then forces into the membrane vessel.
So the valve and gauge on the back end of the pressure vessel are measuring brine or product water? How does having the gauges at this end control the pressure in the vessel?I take it the brine discharge line is on the end away from the pump?

on posts #28 and #29 are my reference.

Sorry if it sounds dumb
Old 23-08-2022, 03:12   #134

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I too am cloudy on certain aspects of the setup so I hope Pizzazz will chime in again soon. I think the best thing to do - and it's what I plan to do - is to just order the basic parts and figure it out from there. I think it will make more sense then, especially the operational part.

Some of my questions concern the flow vs. pressure vs. water quality. I'm still don't fully understand the relationship but I feel that when I have a working unit I can see for myself how it all applies.
Old 23-08-2022, 03:29   #135

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
I too am cloudy on certain aspects of the setup so I hope Pizzazz will chime in again soon. I think the best thing to do - and it's what I plan to do - is to just order the basic parts and figure it out from there. I think it will make more sense then, especially the operational part.

Some of my questions concern the flow vs. pressure vs. water quality. I'm still don't fully understand the relationship but I feel that when I have a working unit I can see for myself how it all applies.
Not a bad strategy.

Sometimes you just have to make a start and cope as you encounter the problems thrown up. However, your thinking will benefit greatly from being to observe and ponder on the physical items.

The flow/pressure/quality aspects of the membranes will be arrived at by the manufacturer by testing. If you go to the membrane manufacturers web sites the information will be most probably be found there.

Manufacturers tend to define the best performances of their products, folks like Telly can usually inform you if how the products actually perform in the field.

Tags
water, watermaker