Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2024, 21:11   #16

Re: Shot is best handpump

I had a Fynspray for 20+ years. The handle broke and I bought a new unit. Good unit, it was used all of the time as the boat did not have pressure water. The hand pump help using less water. Stop pumping no flow. I still have the broken handle pump -- still pumps but difficult with a short handle.
Dennisb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 05:19   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
And???
I have this concern on my boat, and it is something I watch carefully. And I have found a leak that might have sunk my boat if I wasn't observant. But I don't yet have an alternative to having water available in my galley. With no watermaker and no option to install or carry one, I NEED seawater on longer passages.

So I am curious what my better option is? The biggest issue as I see it is that the foot pump is below the waterline, so when it starts to leak, it won't stop. But, a hand pump is above the waterline, so is less an issue.
You simply need to put the elimination of salt water at the top of the priority list. That’s it, it’s just a matter of choice. There is nothing that keeps you from eliminating salt water faucets and pumps from the galley, they are all excuses for not doing away with it.

Of course you have room for a watermaker. While at it, replaces the toilets with fresh water flush too

Even if the boat would be tiny and you would have to give up a berth… consider that or just use a bucket to get some salt water to do the dishes.

I don’t think any modern biats come with salt water in their galleys anymore, the risk is simply too high.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 10:02   #18

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Commercial power boats/fish boats have been doing this for decades;
They just took a tap off of the raw water after it had passed thru the heat exchanger and plumbed it to a valve/spigot in the galley.
Many sailboats used to do a similar thing, a 1/4>3/8" line from the high point of the water run plumbed to a cockpit drain, only now you'd run the line to the galley with valve/spigot.
On boats that lack a few acres of solar, where the engine is run for a period each day it can still be a viable course of action.
Of course you don't want to starve the water-lift muffler, but with a small line that's generally not a concern, even little engines usually pump more water than is actually needed for exhaust line cooling/water-lift operation.
Old 27-02-2024, 12:37   #19

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You simply need to put the elimination of salt water at the top of the priority list. That’s it, it’s just a matter of choice. There is nothing that keeps you from eliminating salt water faucets and pumps from the galley, they are all excuses for not doing away with it.

Of course you have room for a watermaker. While at it, replaces the toilets with fresh water flush too

Even if the boat would be tiny and you would have to give up a berth… consider that or just use a bucket to get some salt water to do the dishes.

I don’t think any modern biats come with salt water in their galleys anymore, the risk is simply too high.
If you gift me a watermaker, I will find space for it. But not being able to afford one isn't a choice, it is a fact. I had actually planned one this year, but once again life had other plans and many thousands of dollars are being spent on unplanned bs instead. I probably won't be able to buy a windlass either, and will continue pulling anchor by hand. In the meantime, I only open the through hull when needed.
Old 27-02-2024, 18:14   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
If you gift me a watermaker, I will find space for it. But not being able to afford one isn't a choice, it is a fact. I had actually planned one this year, but once again life had other plans and many thousands of dollars are being spent on unplanned bs instead. I probably won't be able to buy a windlass either, and will continue pulling anchor by hand. In the meantime, I only open the through hull when needed.
Then it’s down to the bucket and scoop some water.

We do have a watermaker and we’re now in the Bahamas for 3 months and didn’t run it a single time. I only flush it to keep the membranes happy. The reason is that we catch enough rain water for everything incl. toilet flushing, showers, laundry (!!!), dishes, cleaning etc.

There’s no real reasons to have salt water plumbing in a boat other than the engine raw water cooling circuit, which is minimum risk.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump