Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 11:53   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)
Re: Raritan PHII toilet issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther View Post
I bought my boat in July last year and after much (mainly cosmetic) work I have now been living aboard for the last 2 months.
One of my Raritan PHII toilets is misbehaving.
When flushing, water rises but there is virtually nothing being pumped out though the pump action seems to be working correctly.
I bought the Raritan repair kit (PHRKIIC) which contains a total of about 20 different parts. My question is, do I need to change all the parts or can someone identify the problem and tell me which part(s)/valve(s) need replacement. The kits are not cheap so I would prefer to just change whatever is necessary and retain the rest for the future. Raritan's troubleshooting section doesn't refer to this specific problem. Any advice?
I just replaced a PH-II on my Alerion (and now have a nice freshwater flush Jabsco electric head). In the process of trying to sell the PH-II, I took it entirely apart. In my opinion, but the time Part A needs replacement, they ALL need replacement. The rubber parts were crusty and stiff, and I can't imagine replacing this stuff part by part.

Roll up your sleeves, and go for it. You'll be happier, and the results should be good for 10 years.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:17   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

FWIW, veterinarians, and hunting (game has to be butchered) supply stores, happen to sell vinyl "sleeve length gloves" and other useful cheap disposable garb, for folks who sometimes are way past their elbows in, well, places their elbows normally wouldn't be anyhow.

For those who want more than the usual kitchen gloves and plastic bags. And Chlorox and paper towels.

Just remember, your administrative assistant should handle all phone calls during this procedure.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 22:37   #18

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht

Hello sailor.... That is a great line!

Buy yourself a vaccuflush system and you'll be just like the Proverbial Piss Pot Handle.....YOU'LL BE RIGHT THERE AT THE ACTION, but, NOT IN IT!😎
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 21:01   #19

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458

I installed my Raritan PHII about 5 years ago and it has worked just fine till now. Now, when I pump up and down on the handle, water no longer comes in so I can flush it. Any idea what needs to be done to fix it? I have a rebuild kit already on board(helps to be prepared)
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 13:57   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
I installed my Raritan PHII about 5 years ago and it has worked just fine till now. Now, when I pump up and down on the handle, water no longer comes in so I can flush it. Any idea what needs to be done to fix it? I have a rebuild kit already on board(helps to be prepared)
See page 7 of the owners manual, which you can download from here:
http://raritaneng.com/pdf_files/ph_II/L04v0505.pdf

A lot of what's in the rest of it is stuff that can come in very handy too.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 12:14   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Something that no one seems to have mentioned. When installing a new joker valve, try not to over tighten the two bolts in the plastic coupling. If overtightened the joker valve gets distorted and can allow back flow

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 14:23   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Something that no one seems to have mentioned. When installing a new joker valve, try not to over tighten the two bolts in the plastic coupling. If overtightened the joker valve gets distorted and can allow back flow
I've never heard of THAT happening, but overtightening WILL cause the fitting to leak. The flange on the joke valve is the gasket that seals the discharge fitting connection to the pump housing....overtightening the bolts puts a pucker in the flange that creates a leak. Not knowing what's causing the leak, people tighten more, making it worse. Then puckers become permanent...only cure for that is a new joker valve.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 16:54   #23
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Had problems with my PH II once and discoverd the discharge hose clogged with
Calcium deposits. Like a blood vessel needing angio plastic surgery. (10% flow)
Ripped everything out and put in new hoses (series 141) as well as all the bits and pieces from the service kit.
Keep lubing the piston shaft from the outside and the piston by adding veggie oil to the bowl, or some other lubricant. Vinegar should help with the calcium deposits. Let it sit over night, then pump out.

Tags
oil, raritan