Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 15:13   #16

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl
Re: Poly Water Bags - Water Tastes Like Plastic!

I removed the Plastimos and put a couple of rounds of diluted vinegar through them. I also stuffed a clean wash cloth in there and shake, rattle and rolled it around the inside surface with the vinegar and then fished it out. It's worked well for me.
Old 17-01-2012, 15:34   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have fiberglass watertanks and can recommend it. These can easily be DIY with plywood core.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 15:56   #18

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sky View Post
I removed the Plastimos and put a couple of rounds of diluted vinegar through them. I also stuffed a clean wash cloth in there and shake, rattle and rolled it around the inside surface with the vinegar and then fished it out. It's worked well for me.
I used a 40 gal. plastimo bladder this past summer on our cruise down the west coast, It lasted 2 weeks before it started leaking, at 1 month would leak 30 gallons over night,w/ no damage to the outer cover. Bladder had rips, not punchures, Plastimo told me was up **** creek w/o paddle. I think Plastimo sells crap and does not stand behind there products. So much for warranties... Good luck on your's..Michael..

Water tasted like plaastic, tryed vinegar to no avail........
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:11   #19

Just leave a plastic water bottle in the car a couple of days in warmish weather... it'll taste just as bad....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:12   #20

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
I used a 40 gal. plastimo bladder this past summer on our cruise down the west coast, It lasted 2 weeks before it started leaking, at 1 month would leak 30 gallons over night,w/ no damage to the outer cover. Bladder had rips, not punchures, Plastimo told me was up **** creek w/o paddle. I think Plastimo sells crap and does not stand behind there products. So much for warranties... Good luck on your's..Michael..

Water tasted like plaastic, tryed vinegar to no avail........
That's unfortunate but I can't say I'm surprised. They don't seem to be pursuing excellence over there. These ones I have have lasted for about a year so far but I can envision the sound of the bilge pump, much cussing and a deep thirst in the near future.
Old 17-01-2012, 16:13   #21

Boat: 75' 1932 UW Research Vessel

If you can taste plastic, you're drinking plastic.

A good charcol filter might help, but anything else is hiding the problem, not curing it. I have removed bleach from the boat, and use vinegar to clean everything from the windows to the bilges. Chlorine is a powerful chemical, and I tend to be from the "if a little is good, a lot is better" school of dilution.

Strong chemicals may accelarate the decomposition of the tank (which is where the taste is coming from), making matter worse, even as they mask the odor and taste.
Pacificcatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sky View Post
That's unfortunate but I can't say I'm surprised. They don't seem to be pursuing excellence over there. These ones I have have lasted for about a year so far but I can envision the sound of the bilge pump, much cussing and a deep thirst in the near future.
This really ruined our trip, ended up packing water in jerry jugs tied on deck. will be replacing w/ 2 20 gallon hard tanks w/ a valve between the tanks. Then can only lose 1/2 the water...Just keep on trying I quess..Michael..
Old 17-01-2012, 17:06   #23

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Glass tanks on a boat? Are you kidding Tager? Glass?
Old 17-01-2012, 17:31   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
add to wishlist: stainless steel water bottles to replace re-used plastic ones...

Tnx for he heads up on this!

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 08:48   #25

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
following up on this, I have just sent Plastimo an email asking about their BPA content in their tanks. our tanks also impart a slight plastic smell/taste when the water is left for a long time.

the wikipedia entry on BPA lists type 3 flexible PVC as a possible source of BPA, and Plastimo's website is pretty clear that they make the tanks out of flexible PVC.

hopefully they'll reply.
So. No reply from Plastimo. Not entirely surprised.

We've moved from filling our tanks at the dock to making all of our water with a Spectra Ventura 150... and now one tank has split a seam and another one is leaking at the fill port. it kills me to spend the day (and all those amp-hours) making water only to have to pump it out of the bilge a few days later.

I'm pretty sure the leaking one is doing so because the fill line is that thick 1.5" reinforced water fill hose (which is completely ridiculous with our current setup, the water maker makes about 8oz/min ), and the hose bends the fitting when the tank fills up, causing the fitting to leak. I could probably get away with removing all the 1.5" hose and installing 1/2", but if I'm going to overhaul the water storage I might as well do it once, properly.

The current options:

- fix up the current Plastimo tanks and hope for the best, BPA or not.

- invest in a pair of Nauta flexible tanks

- invest in a pair of Vetus flexible tanks

- something else I haven't thought of?

your thoughts? we are living aboard and actively cruising and intend to do so for several more years yet.
Old 29-02-2012, 09:33   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
So. No reply from Plastimo. Not entirely surprised.

We've moved from filling our tanks at the dock to making all of our water with a Spectra Ventura 150... and now one tank has split a seam and another one is leaking at the fill port. it kills me to spend the day (and all those amp-hours) making water only to have to pump it out of the bilge a few days later.

I'm pretty sure the leaking one is doing so because the fill line is that thick 1.5" reinforced water fill hose (which is completely ridiculous with our current setup, the water maker makes about 8oz/min ), and the hose bends the fitting when the tank fills up, causing the fitting to leak. I could probably get away with removing all the 1.5" hose and installing 1/2", but if I'm going to overhaul the water storage I might as well do it once, properly.

The current options:

- fix up the current Plastimo tanks and hope for the best, BPA or not.

- invest in a pair of Nauta flexible tanks

- invest in a pair of Vetus flexible tanks

- something else I haven't thought of?

your thoughts? we are living aboard and actively cruising and intend to do so for several more years yet.
Junk anything made by Plastimo. These people do not stand behind anything they make. I had one of there 40 gal. tanks, and it started leaking the first day, thought it was the fitting. Removed the fitting and aplyed vaseline to the seal [o-ring] and threads. Still leaked, wasn't the fitting. two weeks later removed the bladder, to my surprize, the plastic looked like an old peace of plastic that had been in the sun for years. You could break out chunks by just touching. Plastimo said that I wwas full of crap. I bought the tank new from West Marine a week before installation. West Marine said I had to go through Plasttimo. I no longer do Business w/WM. Try a different brand. I went back to hard tanks from Defender Marine. Good Luck....Michael..
Old 02-03-2012, 17:54   #27

Try High dose bi carbonated soda with a final rinse with diluted vinegar. A small amount of vinegar will sweeten the water, so if it fails you at least have a sweet plastic taste.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:32   #28

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

One thing to remember with Plastics,,they never stop curing,,as they age they break down.
Plastics have only been with us for the past 70+ years, so all the horses in this race are not in yet.
But for a while now at home i have been leaning more towards stainless or glass,,especially when it comes to Microwaving food,,Plastics will rapidly impart their basic properties to your food.
I use glass in the microwave all the time now.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 19:48   #29

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

This is a proper water bottle

Old 09-09-2012, 12:12   #30

Are you sure it is the water tanks?? Is it possiable the problem is your connecting hose?? I have had this problem before and just replaced the hoses and problem went away.

Good Luck.

Jeff & Judy
Island Mistress
Jeffreydwahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, tanks