Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08   #1
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
New Holding Tank Layout

I'm rebuilding an O'day 39. I've removed the entire holding tank system and will be starting from scratch. I'm thinking of installing two Raritan Marine Elegance electric heads flushing with fresh water. The boat was originally fitted with a 15 gallon holding tank under the forward V-birth handling the port side forward head and a 20 gallon holding tank under the starboard settee to handle the starboard head located just forward of the quarter birth. My question: Would it be better to place a larger holding tank under the port settee instead of under the v birth since it would be a much shorter run and it could likely be positioned as to not hold waste in the line?
The only advantage I see with the factory arrangement is that both tanks can be serviced at the pump-out station with the boat on a starboard tie. I've never pumped out a boat so I have no idea if this is a big deal.

I have Peggie Hall's book and she likes the holding tank under the V-birth because it provides a great location for a vent. But I don't think she'd like that location for my boat since it requires a long up hill run for the waist hose connecting the head to the holding tank. I have included a layout of the boat. I look forward to any and all comments.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Todd/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Todd/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	o'day_39_drawing.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	25844  
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: new holding tank layout

It's a dirty job that you don't want to do very often. But if it must be done you want ready access to the system components. Hose stinks (for real). The less you have the better. Just my .02.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: new holding tank layout

funny thing about the black sanitary hose: it smells funny when new .. almost like it already needs to be replaced. check out ocean link tanks. i have heard that there can be problems with long level runs of hose which is what you may have when sharing the same tank. also buy more hose than you think you will need.

Tags
holding tank