Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2008, 11:30   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
IMHO, the only proper way to maintain a Jabsco toilet is to remove the four floor fastening bolts, disconnect the water intake and exhaust and throw the whole thing in the nearest dumpster.
Replace it with a more suitable marine product that lasts more than two years without a major rebuild.
I have to wholeheartedly agree with this regarding pretty much all current Jabsco products. But some of the older stuff still around is very good and if you can keep it going I would not replace it unless the cost is prohibitive. I know some will now post how long they have used Jabsco without failures. Unfortunately they are in the minority but some what vocal.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 11:45   #17

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We've had the same good experiences with Jabsco.
Makes sense to get a wide view before throwing anything with a marine label into a dumpster.
JOHN
Old 19-03-2008, 12:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
We spent the summers docked in Ft. Lauderdale, and pumped our holding tank (at least) weekly. Generally, I’d flush a dose of “salad dressing*”, just prior to pump-out, so lubricated toilet pump, without disturbing anaerobic activity in tank. Each pump-out was followed by (usually) two fresh-water tank rinses. We flushed with fresh water.

During winter cruises, we’d switch to overboard discharge, and seldom use the holding tank. Accordingly, we’d use a “salad dressing*” treatment, once every couple of days, or anytime the pump started to get a little “stiff”.

* “salad dressing” = oil & vinegar

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 13:34   #19

Thanks, Gord that is pretty much our routine also.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 19-03-2008, 16:17   #20

Again, we are another who have had zilch problems with Jabscos, cheap though they are.

For lube I just use the lubricant that plumbers use for getting big rubber sealing rings, etc onto pipes - is very slippery stuff, comes in a handy tube and is cheap from plumbers' merchants. Even though it seems to be detergent based (you get frothy flushes for a while) I only seem to need to do it about once or twice a year (maybe its something to do with what we eat?) even though our head gets regular use.

Can just undo the seal at the top of the pump and squeeze some down beside the piston rod or (as I do) remove the top of the pump and give a really good squirt inside on top of the piston. But if doing it the latter way make sure you know how to correctly replace the top of the pump again (RTFM - the manual is available on ITT Jabsco's web site) as I am sure that incorrect replacement of this leads to many of the troubles people have including leaks and then stripping the screws through overtightening trying to force the top down so's it don't leak.

And, if replacing the top gasket or anything else, make sure one buys the correct spares kit, as commonly sold are the kits for the previous model and also the kits for the current model - Jabsco have a pretty picture on the packs which should look exactly like the top of ones particular pump and another pretty picture with a cross through it which should not look like the top of your pump. Seems obvious but many don't seem to notice .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 16:25   #21

Gord, you are one of the few guys that shows the vented loop on the intake. Lotta folks don't bother but I'm with you I don't trust the valves on a $100 head to hold back the ocean.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 21:53   #22

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
OK, I think I'll stick with the Jabscos until one of them goes South, since I have two heads and they are both the same model -- makes it easier to know, service, carry spare parts, etc. I put some silicon lubricant onto the plunger part and it's operating well. I will tackle the non-functioning one soon, bought Nigel Calder's book on systems -- PHEW, lots of info in that one!! I am also going to try the "salad dressing" flush right before I have the tank pumped!
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 05:15   #23

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30
How long do you let the vinegar sit, overnight or just flush it through?

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 07:35   #24

Boat: Bayfield 36
The superlube is a definite must do..or any other silicone style lube , forget the oil of any kind unless it gets stiff to pump and you are underway making it difficult to do the proper lubrication.
I do it (as a livaboard 8 months a year) about 3 times a year..tales about 5 minutes.
Another thing for you salt dwellers is to drop a denture cleaning tablet in every once and a while,,gives it a Kissing fresh breath!!
dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 07:39   #25

Wmii, We flush enough vinegar to sit in the bowl and lines and let it sit for an hour or so, then flush out. I have seen the acidic results of some things sitting in vinegar for a long time so I am reluctant to leave it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 20-03-2008, 07:59   #26

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have 21 year old Bryden Boy heads aboard our boat and have found them quite reliable with routine maintenance and discipline as to what goes through them. If the pump gets sticky, try fully withdrawing the handle, drying and cleaning the shaft, and then lubing it with some petroleum jelly. Adding a little vegi oil to the water in the bottom of the bowl before pumping the bowl dry might be helpful but we have avoided that as the oil will simply coat the scale build up in the hoses disallowing later vinegar washes to reach and help dissolve the scale (notice how vinegar and oil separate in a salad dressing dispenser).

One thing we have found helpful is a material known as "SaltAway" which does seem to prevent material build-ups on the hoses and seals. I routinely change the seals and Joker valves and since using the Salt Away have noticed that the deposits we used to find are gone.

One thing to note is that chlorine bleach seems to have a horrible effect on seals. While adding a little chlorine to the raw water intake from time to time may kill the growies and clear the smell from the hoses, it really seems to have a deleterious effect on the gear.

FWIW!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:28   #27

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Question - a bit off topic, but not worthy of its own thread - has anyone found a source for lavac heads. They seem to have disappeared. I am looking to replace my existing head with one, but I cant seem to find a source in the North East USA?