Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2024, 19:31   #1

Hydronic Heater Sizing

Hey all --

I just noticed diesel heating seems to be without a home in the engineering and systems section.

Anyway, I'm installing a hydronic system in my boat and am wavering on sizing. I have a '43 aluminum, pilothouse, fairly well spray-foamed sailboat. I sail in AK and would like to keep my options open for winter sailing around the inside passage area.

Can anyone who operates in similar climates and who has gone with hydronic share their boat/system size and experience?
SoggyHalyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 20:24   #2
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Re: Hydronic Heater Sizing

We have a Webasto DBW-2010 hydronic heater that came with the boat (43ft Jeanneau 43, with large windows, I wouldn't call it particularly well insulated). We use it extensively in Pacific Northwest/Seattle area. It is nice, and keeps us warm. Though in colder days (at around freezing temperatures), we also use an electric floor heater to supplement it.

I am a Mediterranean and the Admiral is Alaskan, extra floor heating is a little too much for her but not for me. I wouldn't say this model is falling short but if I were choosing, I would probably look for one size up, just to have the option. But I am the one who likes things oversized when possible.

Last year we visited Southeast Alaska between May and September and the heater was very useful especially earlier in the season. I would have less opinion on the winter conditions over there on a boat.

Hope it gives at least some rough reference points.
Old 23-02-2024, 20:36   #3

Hey Tenedos, that is very helpful. Thanks for sharing. I’m having trouble figuring out what the size of that unit is from google. Do you happen to know the kW or BTUs? I’m seeing a reference to 10.6 kW but not sure.
SoggyHalyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 21:05   #4
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyHalyard View Post
Hey Tenedos, that is very helpful. Thanks for sharing. I’m having trouble figuring out what the size of that unit is from google. Do you happen to know the kW or BTUs? I’m seeing a reference to 10.6 kW but not sure.
It is 13.0 kW and 45,000 Btu/h

Tags
heater