Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 21:47   #1

Boat: Vancouver 27
Groco 6V750 Valve

Part # may not be correct as had to use cell to get the back side of valve. Pulling my boat and the valve needs servicing or replacement. Prefer to service,
Cannot find any info on Groco's site. It appears to be serviceable but do not want to be stuck on the dry dock due a crack nylon ring or something. Waiting for Groco to get back to me. Does anyone have any experience with this valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Groco Valve 6V750.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	273012   Click image for larger version

Name:	groco valve 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	273013  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Groco valve.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	273014  
Tibsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 00:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Groco 6V750 Valve

No parts are available for that valve. If you disassemble it you’ll find the handle turns a big rubber plug with a hole in it that either aligns with the thru-hull to let water in or goes crosswise to block the water flow. The T handle is used to compress the rubber plug to lock it in place. Loosen the T handle before turning the plug.

There are two failure modes that I’m familiar with. If the valve is left closed for a long period of time, the rubber swells into the valve openings and makes it very difficult to open. If you disassemble the valve you may be able to sand down the rubber bumps that prevent it from turning.

The other failure I’ve seen is the shaft disconnects from the rubber. If that happens you’re just screwed.

Take it apart and see what condition that rubber plug is in. Then decide to replace or not.

I don’t think Groco has made those in about thirty years.
Old 21-03-2023, 02:34   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I will add to the above assessment that if that valve and it's 90 degree PVC elbow is below the waterline, loose the PVS elbow and buy a proper bronze one.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 02:49   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

SV 750 https://www.groco.net/media/file/file/s/v/sv-series.pdf

Recommend you replace the white corrugated hose with heavy duty hose,if it is below waterline.
Old 21-03-2023, 08:41   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27

Thanks every one, Looks like its time to replace. Groco got back to me. Its a SV750 valve. the plug is n/a. probably time to replace. Can I assume the 2 existing flange bolts do not go through the hull but use the butt block. The new seacocks use 3 flange. Hope that i do not need to replace the thru-hull fitting and just need screw on a new valve and secure with a new butt block??
Tibsen is offline   Reply With Quote