Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2022, 07:49   #1

Boat: Steeler 59
Gray water holding tank

I have a gray water holding tank on my boat that all sinks, showers and appliances drain to. It has a float valve which operates a pump to drain it when it’s full. I don’t know how big it is, but guess maybe 10 gallons or so. The drain pump only ever gets it down to about half empty so there’s always quite a bit of water left in. None of the sinks etc have waste traps and so we’re having real problems with smells. I’m sure that it’s because the tank never fully drains that we get stagnant water. I’ve read Peg Hall’s excellent book and my next step is to try and figure out whether we have a proper tank vent and whether it’s blocked but I have a more general question. Is the arrangement on my boat normal or is it just asking for problems. If I can’t fully pump out the tank each time and smells can always come up via the sink or shower then unless I can keep the tank perfectly clean it feels like I’ll always have problems. The only thing that goes into the tank is sink and shower water; nothing from the black water system which is separate.
hutchib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:00   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Gray water holding tank

Welcome to CF

You haven't said were in the world you are, but first question is do you really need a grey water tank? I guess on an inland lake like Windermere it could be socially warranted, but in saltwater in the UK, probably not. A trip to Holland would also need close inspection of their rules for places like the inland meres.

Our sink and shower drain overboard above the waterline as do thousands of other yachts.

Pete

In the sunny Solent
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Welcome to CF

You haven't said were in the world you are, but first question is do you really need a grey water tank? I guess on an inland lake like Windermere it could be socially warranted, but in saltwater in the UK, probably not. A trip to Holland would also need close inspection of their rules for places like the inland meres.

Our sink and shower drain overboard above the waterline as do thousands of other yachts.

Pete

In the sunny Solent
Funny that you should mention Holland, but that’s exactly where our boat was built. We’re based in the sunny Solent, UK too although will be doing some inland waterway cruising. I have to say that I don’t love the setup as I can’t see how it’s a good idea to have half full gray water tanks, but it would be a big hassle to re-route as we have 7 inlets to the tank.

The reason it only half empties is that the pump has a large inlet and starts sucking air when the tank is half full. I was think of attaching a 90 degree angle extension to the pump inlet so that it sucks water from the bottom of the tank and empties more of the water
Old 10-07-2022, 08:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Grey water holding tank

Either way you are going to have to empty and clean that tank out, so why not solve the pick up problem at the same time . Since it was built in Holland that would explain the grey water system.

I think the sink one is probably the most important and perhaps doable without worrying about the rest. A simple two way diverter valve to an overboard drain above the waterline ought to be a days work. Even between the tides if you get all the ducks in order and fit most of it first.

Bits of food in the tank and grease is really going to create a bacterial soup and if you can't drain the bottom of the tank, oh lordy. You will need long marigold gloves.

That should improve life on board whilst being easy to switch for inland trips.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:54   #5

Gray water holding tank

I’d think that adding pee traps just below each drain should solve the smell issue.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:11   #6

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

I also have a separate grey water tank where the shower and bathroom sink drains.I don't have a float switch. Just simply turn the pump on manually every time the shower is used. No pee traps and bad smells. But check the vent holes too. They get plagued very easily
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 13:43   #7
Marine Service Provider

I agree with everything Pete said, including Welcome aboard CF. And thanks for buying my book!

Gray water tanks are almost impossible to maintain. I don't know of any black tank products that are likely to do much about the odor because soap scum, body oils, cooking oils etc--even fat content in fish and meat that goes down the galley sink when you wash dishes-- create a "skin" on the surface that prevents the tank from "breathing" via the vent. Even the slightest motion of the boat disturbs the tank contents, sending odor up the drain...And btw, the LAST thing you want on a boat is p-traps in sink drains. All the stuff that creates the "skin" on the surface in the gray water tank builds up in the p-trap, eventually creating a clogged drain. Pete gave you the best and easiest solution.

The "fun" part will be cleaning out the tank after you've re-directed the plumbing to bypass it. The instructions in my book for cleaning the bilge should work if adapted a bit to use in a tank.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:09   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I think that this is changing and eventually all grey water will have to be processed and disposed of in an environmentally sensitive way

Bill (Lake Ontario for envronmental rules)

Pete

In the sunny Solent[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:43   #9

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Not sure if you can get this product in the UK, but I highly recommend dumping about a quarter of a cup of Zaal Noflex Digestor in there - that stuff is amazing. Peg Hall recommends it for black tanks but I find it also works in my sink and shower drains.

I’m attaching a picture (hope you can see it) of a sink drain that I closed off and dumped a couple of tablespoons of Zaal in overnight. It spat up all this gunk and the pipe was so much cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6D4862E-85E4-423D-9A14-A3094793BAA2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	260820  
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:44   #10

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Meant to say that it gets rid of all the smells too.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:24   #11

Boat: MARCO, San Juan Ranger 1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
"I don't know of any black tank products that are likely to do much about the odor because soap scum, body oils, cooking oils etc--even fat content in fish and meat that goes down the galley sink when you wash dishes-- create a "skin" on the surface that prevents the tank from "breathing" via the vent. Even the slightest movement of the boat disturbs the tank contents, sending odor up the drain"

--Peggie
There are several bacterial enzyme products (Amazon, eBay, etc)that actually "eat" the oils and organic matter. They eliminate the products in the tank that cause clogging and odor. Many of them are septic-safe cleaners.

I have two 20gal grey water tanks that all faucets and showers flow to and treat monthly via their respective drains. I have no smells, clean vents, and most importantly, no clogs or wear in the pump joker valves.

Green Goblin Drain Opening Packs
Oil Eater
Green Goblin
Prozyme Pro-Kleen liquid
Grease Eater and Grease Eater Turbo

Best of luck and fair winds.
MuckAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:33   #12

Thanks everyone for all the helpful responses. Gives me a coupe of different things to try but I suspect a winter re-plumbing job will be where I end up. I actually cleaned the tank a few weeks back and it was in pretty good condition in terms of not having gunk on the walls etc. However, whilst it didn’t look very bad, the water was certainly grey and pretty smelly.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:48   #13

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Part of the reason for grey water tanks is to avoid more through hulls, Even if they are above the water line. Same as the reason for a sea jest for salt water inflow.
I just flip my grey water pump switch whenever i use my sink drain and the suction crates also helps drain the sink
Old 18-07-2022, 21:34   #14

Grey water holding tanks are more on the nose than black water due to the inorganic content such as surfactants. They are easily controlled though utilising some off the shelf products such as TankTechsRX, Forget About it for Boats and ProPower Grey Wastewater Tank Treatment. Both of these products are 100% natural and utilise microbial consumption rather than chemical masking of the problem.
ProPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:58   #15

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

I have a gray water tank that is very simple.... It's a Rule pump with a float switch screwed onto a paint can lid sat in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket that sits in the bilge.

My shower, sinks, and washer all gravity feed to this bucket as it's at the lowest point. Instead of having four overboard hull penetrations I have one. I never have to worry about which tack I'm on for draining. If my bilge pump ever fails the water will overflow into the bucket and my gray water pump becomes another bilge pump.

No smells of yet and I can just replace the bucket.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, water