Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 13:53   #1

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft
Fresh Water System

I would appreciate feedback on a recurring problem.

My freshwater reticulation is powered by a Whale Universal Pressure Pump. 24volt and installed as per Whale's rec. layout.

Over the past few years I have had 3 pump failures. Each time water is passing thro. the seal in to the motor.

There is a washing machine on the system and my thoughts are , " can this appliance create excessive backpressure ?"

I target the washing machine because everything else , sink, hot water service etc. is very common.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 14:29   #2

Re: Fresh Water System

You could try putting a check valve before the washer/dryer and see if that fixed the problem. A more expensive way would be to hook up a pressure gauge and the test to see what is creating excessive pressure.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 14:33   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

I would suspect water hammer caused by rapid closing of the washing machine valve(s). This could lead to considerable short-term transient pressure spikes. Really depends on the size, capability, and location of your pressure accumulator whether this can absorb the pressure spikes, or if they are getting transmitted to the pump.

You can install a water hammer arrestor right at the washing machine to try and reduce any spikes.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 16:54   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I would suspect water hammer caused by rapid closing of the washing machine valve(s). This could lead to considerable short-term transient pressure spikes. Really depends on the size, capability, and location of your pressure accumulator whether this can absorb the pressure spikes, or if they are getting transmitted to the pump.

You can install a water hammer arrestor right at the washing machine to try and reduce any spikes.
I'm going with this answer.

The washing machine solenoid shuts the water off pretty much instantly, unlike turning the water off manually. One instant the water pump Is happily pumping away and the next instant there's no place for the water to go.
Old 14-03-2015, 01:19   #5

I much appreciate the comments , Sailors ! It seems logical that the washing machine is the cause of hydraulic pressure spikes.
Old 14-03-2015, 03:50   #6

+1 on washing machine - not at all uncommon to get water hammer from them. Also (since this is not a small boat) do you have a dish washer? Dishwashers are notorious for creating water hammer.

Hammer arrestors near all solenoid actuated valves will buffer the spikes. Also a small pressure tank just downstream of the pump will both help buffer spikes and also keep the pump from cycling on/off so often, increasing the life expectancy of the pump.
Old 14-03-2015, 10:40   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
+1 on washing machine - not at all uncommon to get water hammer from them. Also (since this is not a small boat) do you have a dish washer? Dishwashers are notorious for creating water hammer.

Hammer arrestors near all solenoid actuated valves will buffer the spikes. Also a small pressure tank just downstream of the pump will both help buffer spikes and also keep the pump from cycling on/off so often, increasing the life expectancy of the pump.

You should have an expansion vessel in the system and this should be handling this.

Ps I'm not a fan of that whale pump

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-03-2015, 19:17   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
I would appreciate feedback on a recurring problem.

My freshwater reticulation is powered by a Whale Universal Pressure Pump. 24volt and installed as per Whale's rec. layout.

Over the past few years I have had 3 pump failures. Each time water is passing thro. the seal in to the motor.

There is a washing machine on the system and my thoughts are , " can this appliance create excessive backpressure ?"

I target the washing machine because everything else , sink, hot water service etc. is very common.

Maybe not use the same pump brand?
If your using Whale all the time ,maybe a defective model.
You probably know this already.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 00:24   #9

Update on the Whale pump problem. I had willing feedback from Whale in Ireland. My problem seemed to be a surprise to them !? Perhaps few boats have washing machines ? My boat has a woman on board , so a washing machine , dishwasher and iron are compulsory. Back to the story- Whale rec. a surge suppressor and a non return valve in the cold supply to dishwasher and ditto to w. machine. I have to agree , but am sorry that they didn't recognise the potential problem sooner ! On the bright side , Whale did replace the first 3 pumps. A separate circuit has a sim. pump fuelling 3 heads and this is the original , 3 years old .Gotta be the appliances? Thanks for input , Guys .

Tags
water