Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 04:43   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Cruisers: Pressurized Fresh Water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I think in the long run you will be pissed at yourself whenever you want either pressurized or hot water ................ long after any sweetness you experience at the start by saving a few dollars!
A 1975 boat? IMO not expected.

I would stick this on the "Nice to have" list. and if the "Need to do" list is scheduled to leave the cash available (Lol!) would consider installing.

Plan B for pressurised water would be a longer hosepipe and for hot water - a bigger kettle
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 05:19   #77
CLOD

Boat: none

Everyone has things they are willing to do without. Water just isn't one of mine. If it is something you are willing to do without that's OK with me as it doesn't matter to me what others do on thier boats to start with.

I never say do something "Cheap" on the boat, there is no such thing as "Cheap" on a boat. I say do things right, which just means right! Right doesn't have to be expensive, there's lots of ways to do things right. On the ther hand "cheap" almost always costs more in the long run in money spent, labor, hassle, and general disappointment.
Old 17-11-2011, 05:49   #78
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Agree with Don. Also, I am assuming we're talking about live aboard cruisers, not day/weekend sailors. How one can live aboard during winter in cold climate without pressure/hot water is unclear. I did not manage and had to give up life aboard when winters got cold in Holland. Your boat needs at least an inside shower compartment.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 05:52   #79

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

There should be some kinda compromise for a minimalist system. In Texas, I rarely use the hot water anyway, but pressurised water, (at least to a couple of sinks, and a shower, (or cockpit washdown), is very handy. I mostly do coastal cruising though so a long passage with limited tankage may want to have manual pumps to conserve water.

IMO having the switch at the point of use, (wiring is easier than plumbing), and making it a momentary pushbutton, (so you have to hold it down), will also save water, and allow for future upgrading.

A small pressure pump isn't much different in price than a manual pump. And you only need one in the system. Hot water can be added later by a small inline heater.

Small camping units are made by Coleman, that are propane powered and also have a small tank, plus pump. And can be added or upgraded anytime without redoing the plumbing.

My goal in a situation like this, would be to get a working, (workable), system as quickly and cheaply as possible, but that will be able to upgrade without tearing out what I have built so far.

IE plumb cold water system from tank to point of use, but install tees, and cap off for future hot water addition. Later just remove caps, and plumb in hot water. 1/2 cost for initial cold water only system, but not trapped into redoing when upgrading.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 00:20   #80

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. I think you answered your own question on the pressure water based on your own quote, "When we sailed the boat around Florida to its current home, she was happy to use the bucket for the toilet since I didn't want to deal with a dirty holding tank as I planned on ripping it all out. I was quite proud of her dealing with that and not having one complaint." You might need to be a little careful who you anchor next to if you know what I mean.

One thing for you to consider in regards to the hot water heater that has not been mentioned is the additional 6 to 10 gallons (I couldn't tell the exact size from your pic) of fresh water tankage. On a boat your size with no water maker, this additional water could well mean the difference between "life and death" on a long passage. All the best with the project. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 01:46   #81

OK, I guess I don't really understand this thread, like at all.

OP is on a budget, but we're not talking about BUYING a new system, we're talking about junking a working one.

Pump is loud
Pump uses too Much water
Pump could leak and drain tank

All have a easy solution, and that's a switch or breaker and turn it off.

You can still have manual AND pressure.

And lastly, removing the water system will negatively impact resale value, and that's a cost as much as anything else.

My advice is to not mind F*k the problem over thinking it. Go sailing, if you really need the space then junk it, if you like the convenience keep it. But debating it endlessly is kinda nauseating.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water