Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 17:10   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Composting heads for long term Cruising?

There is another ''information highway'' other than the internet. It is called ''Youtube''. There is a ton of videos on composting toilets on Youtube.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 17:27   #17

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Wow! Geez! Thanks for the advice capt.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 17:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
. Any pro's or con's on these 2 brands would be appreciated.
What pushed us towards the Natures Head was the seat is sized to fit an adult.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 17:49   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've owned boats with both traditional marine heads and composting heads. I find simply opening a valve to empty a gravity fed holding tank much simpler and much less nasty than having to manually empty half-composted waste from a composting toilet. (If you are cruising long term, you will have to empty it before it's fully composted, unless you have the means to store compost bins while it finishes composting) I've also installed gravity fed marine head systems for about half of what my nature's head composting system cost and with no electric needs and no needs to worry about finding more peat moss should you run low.

I personally think a composting head makes more sense for shorter cruises in areas where dumping is illegal such as inland lakes, and when large holding tanks are not practical due to space/weight limitations, cruising a small tri on the great lakes for a few weeks for example. For cruises shorter than a month, one can let the waste finish compositing and conveniently throw it into a home compost system.

That said, you certainly can use a composting head for a 6-month cruise. if that's your wish. I had to empty mine about every 3-4 weeks with 2 people and went through about two gallons worth of peat moss during that time which is not that much to store.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 18:43   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Wow! Geez! Thanks for the advice capt.
I denote a tone of sarcasm in your reply. I just assumed you were a person who has never experienced ''Youtube''. All of the information you requested is there, plus operating instructions, facts, pictures, mounting instructions, the whole ball of wax.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 20:00   #21

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

[QUOTE=captlloyd;1863142]I denote a tone of sarcasm in your reply. I just assumed you were a person who has never experienced ''Youtube''. All of the information you requested is there, plus operating instructions, facts, pictures, mounting instructions, the whole ball of wax. [/QUOTE

Sarcasm, really..... I'm well aware of YouTube, as I imagine 99% of the population is, but shocking but true, I have this incredible thirst for knowledge that drive me to seek multiple sources for information no matter where that might take me. Even Cruisers Forum.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 20:14   #22

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Quote:
I have this incredible thirst for knowledge that drive me to seek multiple sources for information no matter where that might take me. Even Cruisers Forum.
If I were asking for help, I wouldn't thank those trying to help by replying with sarcasm. But that's just me.

IMO, the main difference between Natures Head and Airhead is the space they occupy.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 20:45   #23
cruiser

Where do you plan on cruising?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 21:18   #24
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

not sure about the others, but the NH seat is one piece under the cover. Simplifies things. Again, be sure you have the vertical space before committing to this one. It's taller. Good choice for tall people. Not so good for people with short legs who like to read.
Old 05-07-2015, 23:42   #25
cruiser

Here's the reason for me asking where you plan to cruise and why it might be a good idea to wait before putting in a new head if the current one is working fine.

Salt water does not smell the same in all locations, in the warmer climates, and at most anchorages, it doesn't have an odor at all. This was a surprise to us.

When we had a boat in Southern California, the water there had a horrible odor to it in the marinas and harbors, not so much out at Catalina. We struggled with all sorts of different remedies to combat the stinking head to the point where we were convinced that changing over to a fresh water flush was the only true solution to the problem. Before we changed over, we purchased a boat in Europe and sold the Cali boat. At times, the smell of the hoses and water was enough to drive us out of the California boat.

A complete surprise to find out the water over here doesn't stink except for in large enclosed harbors and marinas. Now it's sufficient to just flush each time with copious amounts of sea water and.... no stink, none... Not ever.

You might want to wait and possibly change over to a seawater flush without the holding tank. Less hassle and certainly less manipulation of waste.

The sea water odor seems to be produced by dead organic material decomposing in the water, leave areas where this occurs in abundance, and the odor goes away.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 23:46   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

The two of us get about four to five weeks before we need to dump.
Wow!
Most people need to go daily........ Im impressed

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:30   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
It looks as though we are leaning towards the Nature's Head. The Airhead seems like a perfectly good unit, but most of the real positive feedback we are getting from here, as well as outside sources, is sending us in that direction. Any pro's or con's on these 2 brands would be appreciated.
I think you've hit on the main benefits of a composter over a traditional head: simplicity, major space savings, safety and not being time-limited by need to pump out, are the major reasons we went with our head.

I went with NH over AH mainly because the footprint seemed to fit our existing space better. The spider handle option was perfect for our needs. I also preferred the one-piece seat arrangement, although don't know if it's that important. Plus, NH was a little cheaper. While I've never used an AH, I really think there is little difference between it and my NH. CH is different with its smaller volumes and use of non-proprietary containers. But owners mostly seem equally satisfied.

Regarding nautical62's comments about dealing with non-composted waste; I too was concerned about this issue when we moved on board for our first six month stint. I reasoned that for full-timers, the last few deposits would have to be "fresh", to put it delicately. But all I can say is after having gone through many cycles now with our NH, there is absolutely nothing offensive or "nasty" about the holding tank when it comes to dumping. It's just like moist soil. Assuming you're doing things properly, even the last few deposits have been churned and mixed sufficiently. It's just not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Wow!
Most people need to go daily........ Im impressed
Are you saying I'm emotionally and intellectually constipated weavis ... Well, you wouldn't be the first .
Old 06-07-2015, 06:20   #28

Boat: Creekmore 34

Yes they are VERY practical for long term cruising. While it's true that there are not very many pump out stations in the Caribbean and many people dump overboard there, just because you can doesn't mean you should. We have had an Air Head for 5 years and LOVE it! There are a few design differences between the Air Head and the Nature's Head, but the principle is the same. The only odor we have is a bit of an earthy smell once it starts composting. We put 1 1/2 bricks of coco coir in each batch and we change it every 6 weeks for two people, full time cruising. We bought a small boat to play around in for a few months and the first thing we did was rip out the holding tank, Y-valve, toilet, hoses, etc. and buy a new Air Head for it. It is truly the most practical head on a boat. I wrote a lengthy article in Good Old Boat many years about Air Head and there is a copy of it on my website. Check it out.
Simply Sailing Online
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:31   #29
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We have owned and used all three of the popular composting heads. We preferred the NH over the AH as it was much easier to remove the urine container and solids bucket, no thumb screws to deal with. But for myself, the CH won out. Although you have to change the solids about once a week, the whole process takes less than 30 seconds and the contents appear to be much drier than the other brands. In my opinion all three are quality products, and much easier to deal with compared to the standard head-holding tank set up.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:49   #30

Boat: Scout 30

We decided on the C-Head mainly because it fits our space really well. It also has a lower profile & just looks better. There are several designs & you can even get it in teak.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, head, long term cruising, posting