Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2023, 01:41   #16
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: Composting head?

We have fitted a small pump to empty the fluids container.
We do it every day and then a flush of fresh water and vinegar, with a quick pump so the pipes are full of water and vinegar.
Removing the bottle every few days was a pain!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 02:01   #17
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Just did an Atlantic crossing with 3 aboard. I've two OGO composting heads onboard.

One crew came aboard suffering from Montezuma's revenge. Must admit that caused the head he used to require significant cleaning once he stabilized.

I personally will never go back to a standard marine head. Charter boats or large crew boats would not do well with a composter, but for about 4 or less crew they are very nice.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 07:32   #18

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Have used a Natures Head the past five years and would not change back to an overboard/holding tank system. Only problem encountered was with two visiting oversized crew members who stuffed the head full of paper. Sailing alone, I go two or more months before having to empty.

The original catalyst that moved me to install a Nature's Head was the result of an onboard inspection by one of our local gendarmes. At the officer's request to inspect my head, I invited him aboard. He began by pouring dye into the head and activating the pump while an outside assistant watched for dye to appear in the water.

No dye appeared. "Where's it going?" the officer asked.

"Into the holding tank" I responded.

"Where's that?"

I showed him the tank and the diverter valve which was properly aligned to transfer the head discharge to the tank. But the valve did not have a lock.

The friendly officer presented me with a ticket and in court I paid a $450.00 fine... for not having a lock in place.

Never again.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 08:15   #19

A different question I have about composting toilets is _capacity_.

I have a racing boat and often have a crew of 5-6 people aboard. Will a composting (desiccating) toilet be able to keep up with that sort of demand? What about for positioning where I have a cfrew of, say, 4?
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 08:58   #20

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Are you asking about day races or distance races.? I've done a lot of each.

Day races should be no problem. They're just a matter of containing your crew's urine.

Even an overnighter should be no problem. On the other hand, I'd question the capability of a composting toilet when considering something like five days to Bermuda.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 09:00   #21

For the longer races I'm looking at things like Vic-Maui (cancelled this year) which is about 14 days or so, though disposing of waste isn't a problem once we get out in the ocean.

Shorter races are, approximately, 36 hours or so.

Good question - I should have thought to put that info in!
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 09:17   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyKlop View Post
A different question I have about composting toilets is _capacity_.

I have a racing boat and often have a crew of 5-6 people aboard. Will a composting (desiccating) toilet be able to keep up with that sort of demand? What about for positioning where I have a cfrew of, say, 4?
These heads are really designed to manage small crew numbers. They can deal with larger inputs for short amount of time, but that's not really how they are designed to be used.

As Seighlor says, a day or two should be OK, but beyond that you are pushing the limits.
Old 25-09-2023, 09:19   #23

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I've had a Nature's Head for seven years. Big step up from fixing the old traditional marine head. I would never go back.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 11:04   #24

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

Last winter I replaced our Jabsco electric with an Airhead composting toilet.

We couldn't be happier with it. It's especially nice that it's quiet and does not announce every use to the entire anchorage like the Jabsco did.

Emptying the solids and liquids is a non issue. It's no more smell or mess than pumping a holding tank
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 17:55   #25

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Thumbs up Re: Composting head?

I was (very) resistant to install the Air Head but, under pressure from my biologist sig-other, I relented. That was 4 years ago. Absolute best upgrade we’ve done on the boat..and we’ve done many that are tied for second place. If there is a future boat, the first requirement will be to ensure she has a composting head.
Old 25-09-2023, 18:20   #26
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I keep waiting for someone to ask this in all the desiccating toilet threads…

A flushing toilet is good not only for disposal but also flushing the porcelain. How does one of these non-water toilets handle diarrhea? Or #2 that is 50% liquid? How do you split up those liquid and solids? How is the bowl cleaned?
And how do you explain this to squeamish guests or family?
Old 25-09-2023, 18:55   #27

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post

A flushing toilet is good not only for disposal but also flushing the porcelain. How does one of these non-water toilets handle diarrhea? Or #2 that is 50% liquid? How do you split up those liquid and solids? How is the bowl cleaned?
It’s not embarrassing, it’s just biology. (That’s what I’ve been told..). These are fair questions.

There are times when you have to add additional coconut core to absorb and compensate for the additional moisture. If the (low amperage) fan is working and the screens are reasonably clean from dust or debris (we clean them once a season), it should all work well, even with the added effluence. The “solid” compartment is cleaned about every three weeks for us, a healthy couple. No odor at all. The composting process turns it all into dirt in a very short time period so cleaning it is just a matter of removing the solids. (Again, no odor and not gross.) The urine bucket is emptied every day or two. Easy.

Training guests is easy. If they want to sail with us, they pee into the front part of the bowl (we provide a personal funnel for those with aiming trouble) and poop after opening the trap door. No flushing. No noise. No smell. No winterizing. So far, there have been no complaints.
Old 25-09-2023, 20:35   #28

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I tested this (explosively, repeatedly) soon after installation. Of course we had guests aboard- lol.

All of my exhaust products were violently deposited. The fart fan did great eliminating the noxious gasses. A quick spray of vinegar & water in the bowl, a quick wipe with some TP (which also went in the pot) and all was well. (Well, well with the Airhead. My guts were decidedly NOT well.)

Nobody except me was aware of the drama that was released that day.

I explain to guests how the toilet works and tell them to always to give it a quick spray with vinegar & water after use & to wipe it clean if needed. It's never been an issue.

Quote:

kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 00:56   #29

Boat: Presto 36

I've had every sort of "wet head" over the years, and about 5 years ago I purchased a "C Head". No problems, no smells. I carry 2, 5 gal waterproof, Gamma Seal, equipped buckets, to handle the bagged dried waste. That's about three weeks of storage capacity for two people.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 03:07   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

As others have said, it's a non-issue. Add some extra absorbing material if needed (I use coir). At worst, you'd have to start a new pile. All feces contains water; some more, some less. These heads function by removing water. It's just how they work.

As for cleanup, it's no different from any bowl. If need be, spritz a little water, and wipe. As for guests, these heads are actually easier to use for newbies; just sit and go. If needed, open the trap door.

Tags
head, posting