Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2012, 05:28   #46

Boat: Alberg 30
Re: Cleaning the Fresh Water System

Hi Folks,
My pressurized water in the galley is foamy and smells bad...a little like curdled milk, and the pump water in the galley is clear with no smell. Any ideas on what is happening and how to fix?" I read the posts about shocking the fresh water system.
Thanks,
Brad
SaltyDog109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 05:33   #47

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Have you checked the conditiion of the anode in the heater, sometimes causes a smell similar. Foamy, not sure.
Old 15-07-2012, 05:44   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brad.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 06:19   #49

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog109 View Post
Hi Folks,
My pressurized water in the galley is foamy and smells bad...a little like curdled milk, and the pump water in the galley is clear with no smell. Any ideas on what is happening and how to fix?" I read the posts about shocking the fresh water system.
Thanks,
Brad
Define pressured water please.
Old 15-07-2012, 09:15   #50

Boat: Alberg 30

Hi Captain Mike,
By pressurized, I mean the faucet that doen't need to be pumped to get water out of it. The faucet that needs to be pumped is coming out clean with no foam or smell. The foam is like disch soap foam.
Thx
SaltyDog109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 09:22   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Hmm, there is a gauze filter on many of the pumps, I would be looking at that for a starter. Does the pumped water have a cannister type filter by chance, so stopping the foaming?

Do a search on here for bleach if you want to shock the system. We do ours annually.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 09:28   #52

Boat: PETERSON 44
I'm going to guess we're talking about the cold water circuit on the pressure side. Foaming would indicate air induction. Smell would indicate growth of something. Could be that the pressure system has a filter and operates in different hose then the manual. More likely that the pressure system by pumping more volume is pumping air and water and such the volume that it is capable of makes the smell air borne. Where the hand pump is not pumping volume equal to the electric pump. Shock treat the system clean or replace filter and tighten all fittings.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 04:30   #53

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I'm going to guess we're talking about the cold water circuit on the pressure side. Foaming would indicate air induction. Smell would indicate growth of something. Could be that the pressure system has a filter and operates in different hose then the manual. More likely that the pressure system by pumping more volume is pumping air and water and such the volume that it is capable of makes the smell air borne. Where the hand pump is not pumping volume equal to the electric pump. Shock treat the system clean or replace filter and tighten all fittings.
Sounds about right but I would not use bleach if I could avoid it go to a caravan website and buy a tin of water purifier/cleanser then if it does not work change the filter and do it again Puriclean, Milton, Citroxx Bio, sterilize it at the start of every season & replace the filter cartridge if there is one. Mine says to use milton & run it through all the taps for 15 mins, then flush through with about 4 gallons clean water. Personally, I'd do it as nasties like legionaires and other stuff can lurk in stagnant water.

Cap Air Systems Ltd
7 Ashcroft
Yelling
PE19 6SE
United Kingdom

Tel:+44 (0)1480 880965
Fax: +44 (0)1480 880877

Web: Citroxx Bio
http://www.citroxxbio.com

Tags
cleaning, water