Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2024, 17:55   #1

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Best fresh water pump

Looking for recs on a new freshwater pump. 40 foot sailboat carrying 100 gals freshwater; freshwater shower and toilet flush. 14 gallon hot water tank with T-5 Expansion tank and accumulator and Jabsco 4GPM pump with 40 psi pressure switch. I want to dump the expansion tank/accumulator and just go with a variable speed pump...probably 4GPM or better. Any recommendations? Usually use 2.5 gals per day per person when cruising...liberal.
Waylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 18:35   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Best fresh water pump

"Best fresh water pump"?
Pretty subjective.
The "Groco Paragon Jr." for your size boat might be the "best" available.
The prices are shocking.
All pumps should have an accumulator tank, it kind of goes with the territory, (or flow, ).
Old 08-01-2024, 18:41   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Marco gear pumps get my vote. But as Bowdrie says, the accumulator is still a good idea.
Old 08-01-2024, 19:00   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

I got tired of the accumulator which always needed pumping up and did not do a very good job of keeping a constant flow. When the pump broke I got one of the variable speed pumps, it was a vast improvement. On my new boat I tried one of the new units with a mechanical bypass. Its even better at keeping a constant flow and probably less electronics to go bad.
Richard Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 03:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Harper View Post
I got tired of the accumulator which always needed pumping up and did not do a very good job of keeping a constant flow. When the pump broke I got one of the variable speed pumps, it was a vast improvement. On my new boat I tried one of the new units with a mechanical bypass. Its even better at keeping a constant flow and probably less electronics to go bad.
Specific details - make/model?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 08:31   #6

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

Shurflo Aqua King II 4 GPM 55 PSI
Richard Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 09:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Only anecdotal info but everyone I know with one of the variable speed pumps has had problems with them after about a year. Accumulator tank should be pretty maintenance free needing adjustment only once a year or so if that. Perhaps you have a small pinhole leak in the air bladder or diaphragm that is causing issues with your present setup. Good luck with problem. Your boat your choice.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 10:03   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

I have an inexpensive jabsco freshwater pump that I bought from stock at the local WM. No accumulator (no room for it) and it works just fine. Even flow, no issues. Five years, most of it full time living aboard. I would replace with the same if I needed to.

Maybe the need for an accumulator comes form having a pump oversized for the pluming? I will never have more than one tap open, and sized the pump for that. If the pump were trying to flow 3 times what one tap will flow, than I could see it having a problem with cycling.
Old 09-01-2024, 10:17   #9

Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot

I have had a Jabsco Sensor-Max VSD Model 31750 on my boat for over 25 years and have never had a problem with this pump and it is still going strong. I have lived aboard my boat for those 25 years. The pump is a quad chamber 3.7 GPM 35 PSI unit that does not require an expansion tank. Unfortunately this pump has been discontinued. I searched the web to find it's replacement. The one recommended is the XYLEM Flojet R4426143A. They sell it on Amazon for $335.21.
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 10:23   #10

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

My experience - from new ,the 24v pumps (2) failed miserably . After 2 years and several replacements I changed both pumps to (in my case ) 240vac 'household ', pumps plus accumulator on each. Cheap , easily replaced or serviced and (8) years later -still going strong. Frankly , if the boat is working hard ,constant use , I will always look for a 'household ' substitute.e.g. frig , freezer , dishwasher ,vac , washing machine and of course f/water pumps.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 10:24   #11

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Harper View Post
Shurflo Aqua King II 4 GPM 55 PSI
I have this one also. Removed accumulator tank which was kind of annoying (eg pump turning on at night randomly to re-accumulate) and seemed to contribute to shower water fluctuations.
It's fine- I rarely have to adjust the mechanical bypass.
Have had for several years now, no idea on longevity or long term quality
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 11:10   #12

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I found that changing from soft tubing or hose to PEX there was a pulse in the flow.
My thought is the flexing of the soft tubing absorbed the pulses.
So if you go with PEX you need an accumulator to even out the flow.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 11:44   #13

Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot

I don't have an accumulator and I have all PEX tubing in my fresh water system and I have never had a pulse issue.
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:07   #14

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I have this one also. Removed accumulator tank which was kind of annoying (eg pump turning on at night randomly to re-accumulate) and seemed to contribute to shower water fluctuations.
It's fine- I rarely have to adjust the mechanical bypass.
Have had for several years now, no idea on longevity or long term quality
Also have this one. It's the quietest pump we've had.

It doesn't really provide constant pressure for us though. Still switches on and off instead of a more variable speed. I wonder if the system on our cat is just too big/complicated without an accumulator (we removed ours). Or maybe I need to do some adjustments to the bypass that I'm not aware of.

Otherwise, happy with it and it's much quieter than the jabsco it replaced.
Old 09-01-2024, 21:10   #15

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylee View Post
Looking for recs on a new freshwater pump. 40 foot sailboat carrying 100 gals freshwater; freshwater shower and toilet flush. 14 gallon hot water tank with T-5 Expansion tank and accumulator and Jabsco 4GPM pump with 40 psi pressure switch. I want to dump the expansion tank/accumulator and just go with a variable speed pump...probably 4GPM or better. Any recommendations? Usually use 2.5 gals per day per person when cruising...liberal.
Does that "T5" tank use an internal diaphragm to keep the air charge separate from the water?
In other words; is it an "accumulator" tank designed to keep a "pressure head" in the system, (mounted just downstream of the pump and ahead of the filters, or is it designed to be used as an "expansion" tank on the outlet of the water heater?
Fifty-five PSI of water pressure is a LOT on a boat.
Also, you will seldom, (if ever,) get the best service from any water pressure system using those stupid little pre-set switches that are mounted on the pumps.
Pumps? aside from the +$2K Groco, Flo-Jet "generally" gets the nod, Jabsco/Johnson/Shurflo all seem to suffer more failures.
Use a "Square D" or similar remote switch that has adjustable cut-in/cut-out.
As an aside, those plastic Jabsco "tanks", (that effectivly hold a couple of cups of water,) they're for campers/RVs, on a boat they're worth little more than the screws to mount them).
Remember, the static air charge pressure in an accumulator tank has to be correct with respect to the pressure switch settings.

Tags
pump, water, water pump