Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2024, 10:28   #1

Boat: 1990 Endeavour 42
Air lock on manual pump Raritan PHII head

Head: Raritan PHII, manual pump, raw water flush

We've lived aboard since 2021 and completed regular annual maintenance of the head. We also allow vinegar to sit in it monthly. We only use this head for #1, no paper. Head was on the boat when we bought in 2021.

The rebuild was completed in Dec 2023. In Jan 2024, it became impossible to pump the handle to flush wet or dry. I figured I had put the flap in the wrong direction. We took it apart, cleaned the flap and made sure it was at the correct angle again. About three weeks later, in Feb 2024, the same air lock situation happened again.

This air lock/hard to pump/too much pressure on the pump handle keeps happening. We've tried taking it apart and cleaning section by section, putting it back together, etc and the pressure returns after a couple of pumps.

We're at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks!
SVMach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 11:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Air lock on manual pump Raritan PHII head

If you don't have the owners manual for it, download one from the Raritan website https://raritaneng.com/uploads/L584v...M-cfd2b70c.pdf Around page 6 or 7 you'll find a parts list and and exploded drawing of the whole toilet. Part #1203W is what looks like a little square nut on the front of the front of the flush valve assembly...it''s actually an air valve that I'm almost certain is the source of your problem...that it's in need of replacing. Call Raritan tech support to confirm (or not) that I'm right and for instructions. 800-352-5630

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 12:18   #3

Hi Peggie,

Thanks for that info!

We don't have a spare onboard. Have one ordered and it will be a bit before we get it, collect it, and return to the boat to swap.

In general, the valve looks fine. We took it out, cleaned it. Same pressure thing keeps happening. We called Raritan. The agent suggested the anti-siphon valve which had a teensy bit of salt on it. Cleaned and replaced. Still builds pressure.

We recently had the bottom cleaned and were told the thru holes were all clear. Water happily comes in the seacock if it is open and the hose removed.

Seems like we will have to wait until the part arrives and we return to Mexico with it.
Old 24-04-2024, 13:06   #4

Another update, we removed 1203W from the system and the pressure built up. Water squirts out on the upstroke, but the pressure doesn't release so we can't even get the handle back down.
Old 24-04-2024, 13:46   #5
Marine Service Provider

Definitely time to have a chat with Raritan tech support. I'm sending you to my go-to tech, Mac McCoy. 800 352 5630 x6.

Btw you have been keeping the pump very well lubricated...used the tube of SuperLube when you rebuilt it?

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 13:55   #6

Hi, thanks, we give him a call.

Yes, we used SuperLube. Back in Dec on the "normal" rebuilt 2 of the little tubes they include. When we took things apart in Jan, I added more lube the the pump cannister thinking that I didn't put enough in the first time.

Tags
head, pump, raritan