Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 14:29   #16

Boat: Fusion 40
Re: Which is trailing edge of propeller?

To get the terminology straight there is a Leading edge and trailing edge and a hi pressure face and a low pressure face. The filing should be on the trailing edge low pressure face.
Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 14:56   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Super interesting. I do not know the answer but I want to thank you for this thread.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 16:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
To get the terminology straight there is a Leading edge and trailing edge and a hi pressure face and a low pressure face. The filing should be on the trailing edge low pressure face.
Scrubby
Hold on! That is NOT the way I was taught! The low pressure side or rear of prop is not the side I balance small props,that being said the next time I am at the shop I will confirm this ,but in ALL my years of racing I never touched the rear,always on the front to balance. Now I have never touched a prop 4 a singing issue it has always been because they were bent or out of balance. And it is quite possible that you might need to work on low pressure side or suction side or rear whatever you want to call it to cure a singing issue. But still the easiest way is to just change it. You should have a spare prop anyway. But now you got me curious and I will definitely contact propeller people to confirm this because in all my years I have never touched the rear of the prop all the work has always been done on the face that is the part that is pointing towards the front of the boat. You may very well be correct that you have to take Material off on the low pressure side to cure noise but I have never seen anybody remove anything off the rear before but I don't do propellers professionally so I would definitely ask somebody that did. You never know we both might windup learning something that's pretty cool.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 16:42   #19

Boat: Fusion 40

Kita

Happy to be corrected but I see I have only added to the confusion.

The high pressure side is the side pushing the boat which is facing the rear. The low pressure side is the side pulling the boat which is facing the front.

There is confusion on which is the front and back of the prop. Is the front of the prop the face that is doing the work ie pushing the boat or is it the forward looking face which is the low pressure (no load) side?

Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 16:57   #20

First off my apologies I screwed up there's no doubt. I actually had to go get the propeller and put it in my hand before I realize I was telling everybody wrong. The pressure side of the propeller is at the rear and I never take anything off of that the low pressure side is facing the front of the boat and that is the side that we always do our filing on! I never touch the high pressure side which would be the rear. This particular propeller rotates counterclockwise...
Old 26-03-2017, 16:59   #21

thank you so much for helping me see the error of my way see I told you somebody was going to learn something maybe even me haha =jacktheflyer;2356931]Kita

Happy to be corrected but I see I have only added to the confusion.

The high pressure side is the side pushing the boat which is facing the rear. The low pressure side is the side pulling the boat which is facing the front.

There is confusion on which is the front and back of the prop. Is the front of the prop the face that is doing the work ie pushing the boat or is it the forward looking face which is the low pressure (no load) side?

Scrubby[/QUOTE]
Old 26-03-2017, 17:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
Hold on! That is NOT the way I was taught! The low pressure side or rear of prop is not the side I balance small props,that being said the next time I am at the shop I will confirm this ,but in ALL my years of racing I never touched the rear,always on the front to balance. Now I have never touched a prop 4 a singing issue it has always been because they were bent or out of balance. And it is quite possible that you might need to work on low pressure side or suction side or rear whatever you want to call it to cure a singing issue. But still the easiest way is to just change it. You should have a spare prop anyway. But now you got me curious and I will definitely contact propeller people to confirm this because in all my years I have never touched the rear of the prop all the work has always been done on the face that is the part that is pointing towards the front of the boat. You may very well be correct that you have to take Material off on the low pressure side to cure noise but I have never seen anybody remove anything off the rear before but I don't do propellers professionally so I would definitely ask somebody that did. You never know we both might windup learning something that's pretty cool.
Ahhh,nevermind oops! :fa cepalm:
Old 27-03-2017, 07:36   #23

Boat: J/88

Thanks Guys, this connects with the stuff I have read very well. Suction side trailing edge says the face of the prop facing the bow of the boat one the trailing edge.

Hopefully this filing will solve the problem as there are no barnacles or paint on the prop and that edge seems pretty uniform. A-filing I will go and will report back in a couple of weeks when she is in the water again.

Dan
Old 27-03-2017, 10:50   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Final note:

Do your best to insure that the profile that you grind into your blades is the same on all of them or the imbalance will will create far more problems than what you seek to solve (think of an imbalanced car tire).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope