Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 17:51   #16

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Re: Prop Won't Go into Gear

Dometic, I know of no small diesel that shares the engine oil with the transmission. This is certainly true with the Yanmar /Kanzaki combo the OP (mike) is trying to figure out.

Mike, It is simple, Get a turkey baster and remove the oil from the trans and replace it. Then figure out if the prop fell off or the coupling sheard the keyway.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 17:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II View Post
I just can't think of anything to say that would not get me banned.

What is your problem? Did I harm you in an earlier life?
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 18:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Dometic, I know of no small diesel that shares the engine oil with the transmission. This is certainly true with the Yanmar /Kanzaki combo the OP (mike) is trying to figure out.

Mike, It is simple, Get a turkey baster and remove the oil from the trans and replace it. Then figure out if the prop fell off or the coupling sheard the keyway.
You are correct. the yanmar 2GM20 diesel engine does not share the same oil with the gear box.
If you read my post, I said; Many inboard marine engines oil the gear box, and engine from the same sorce. If this is the case with your engine
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 18:16   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

It's pretty easy to tell if the problem is in the transmission or the prop. With the engine running and in gear (it does not matter which direction) is the prop shaft spinning? If yes the problems with the prop, if no then its the transmission. One other alternative is that if the forward part of the shaft is spinning and the rear part isn't then it's a coupling.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 18:23   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Don't ya just love OP's that post with a problem and then disappear?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 18:26   #21

Domenic, I must ask... What ones? I am only asking below... say... 500hp?

Borg Warner and others share heatexchangers perhaps but the small stuff, ZF/Hurth, Techno drive , Kanzaki, PRM etc do not share engine oil. Some use it (Like my PRM) but there is no connection between the functions.

Old 20-09-2011, 18:28   #22

Deepfrz, Give him a little time, He is looking for his dive mask to check if there is a prop?

Old 20-09-2011, 18:39   #23

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

If you think number 4 is your problem, remove a spark plug, and see if you have water on top of the piston. If you do, hand crank each piston to the top, clear it of water. Put about three table spoons of MMO into each cylinder, and hand crank the engine to prevent rust in the cylinders.
I don’t think anyone would do number 1. Number two you have a big problem. Number 3 you can fix yourself. Number 4 is a simple fix.
Number 4 applies to engines that exit water via the exhaust, and oil is shared between engine, and gear box.[/QUOTE]

In # 4 you are refering to what is known as hydrolock..it will prevent your engine from running and could do other damage, such as bent connecting rod or burned up starter, but the bottom line is the engine will not turn over. Also, no diesel engine that I know of has spark plugs.
Old 20-09-2011, 18:45   #24

The original post made refference to the dipstick. This was a refference to the transmission dipstick and the fact that the level was high. The OP did not refference the engine oil. I understand this as a gearbox/trans issue only. ??? Yes?

Old 20-09-2011, 18:57   #25

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

The yanmar transmissions as someone previously mentioned use a cone as a clutch. They are very sensitive to the viscosity of oil being used. Also remove the cable to shift link connection and test the amount of throw the link has and if the transmission engages. A common fault in these is to have a shift lever that is not set up right causing the cone to not fully engage. This causes the transmission to slip until the cone reciever or the cone itself wears until that amount of link movement is no longer enough to engage. The oil will lose viscosity as it heats up until the transmission slips. ( It needs a certain viscosity to provide the friction interface between the cone and the reciever).
Old 20-09-2011, 19:06   #26

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
The yanmar transmissions as someone previously mentioned use a cone as a clutch. They are very sensitive to the viscosity of oil being used. Also remove the cable to shift link connection and test the amount of throw the link has and if the transmission engages. A common fault in these is to have a shift lever that is not set up right causing the cone to not fully engage. This causes the transmission to slip until the cone reciever or the cone itself wears until that amount of link movement is no longer enough to engage. The oil will lose viscosity as it heats up until the transmission slips. ( It needs a certain viscosity to provide the friction interface between the cone and the reciever).
I agree with you on the issues with Yanmar cone clutches. The OP indicated that the shaft would only turn by hand in one direction which is normal behavior for cone clutches. They engage in one direction only. This would seem to indicate that the cone clutches are engaging properly, though admittedly the torque generated by a human hand may not be able to cause slippage that the engine can.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 19:37   #27

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
Say about what?
You need to read a lot of other threads before you get it. I don't want to get banned either.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 21:47   #28

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I agree with you on the issues with Yanmar cone clutches. The OP indicated that the shaft would only turn by hand in one direction which is normal behavior for cone clutches. They engage in one direction only. This would seem to indicate that the cone clutches are engaging properly, though admittedly the torque generated by a human hand may not be able to cause slippage that the engine can.
Either not slipping because of lack of torque using only hand power or because they seem to grab better when cold than when hot. Regardless of the reasons for the present problems, the transsmission will have to be removed and overhauled. Because there is no logical way that water can enter the transmission, (no cooling system) this may be simply burnt oil or caused by condensation because of oil heating and cooling.
Old 21-09-2011, 06:45   #29

Boat: 1979 Columbia 8.3 (27')

Thanks so much for the replys. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner I've been waiting on a friend to borrow a pump to change the oil in the gearbox. Tonight after I get off work I'm planning on going over the side to check the prop, then changing the oil, then starting the engine and doing some troubleshooting. For now my thought process is:

A) Prop fell off - pretty straightforward
B) Prop key sheared off
C) Oil level and/or viscosity in gearbox is causing problems getting into gear - changing oil should fix both these problems
D) If the prop is secure and the gearbox has the correct level of fresh oil and I can not get the prop shaft to spin I guess its time to remove and dissasemble the gearbox and investigate further.

Again sorry for not responding sooner, I'll make sure to let you know how it goes tonight.
fsuhansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 20:43   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Yanmars don't have sparkplugs
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear