Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2012, 11:00   #46

Boat: Bavaria
Re: Prop Shaft Line Cutters

In 30 Years + of boating I have used a few types of cutters both on shafts and on outdrives/sail drives. The disc type, toothed and plain edged only work if the debris is rotated over them at 90 deg. This never happens so they are useless. Spurs work but blades are not toothed and are concaved and so they draw ropes or debris in towards the rotational radius point or drive shaft. If it’s a large rope it will stall the shaft or cause damage. Stripper from Ambassador Marine http://www.ropestripper.com/ is a toothed cutter where the blade shape cuts in stages forcing anything too big away from the centre of rotation. It has shear bolts as part of its design. They are approved for use with many after market props.The guys give you 100% pre and after sales help and advice. It’s the only cutter I would fit. In the last 5 years the numbers of pot buoys around the headlands we have to sail around have increased while their visibility has decreased. I have been able to decrese the numbers by at least 4-5 thanks to the Stripper :-)
Oh yes...... its very sharp it will cut you if if you stick any part of your body near it!!

Blinky
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 15:19   #47

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I live in Maine and have a shark tooth cutter that works just right. I have no complaints. I think the Spurs are a maintenance headache
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 15:52   #48

Boat: Alberg 37

I have had Evolution cutters on a Bristol 27 and an Alberg 37. Before the cutter was on the 27, I caught a line and broke the transmission from the engine, had to get TowUS to get me in, and spent way, way way more on the event than the cutter. Would it have saved me? IDK. Will a helmet save a guy on a motorbike, IDK, but it gives a chance, and that's why I will always have them on my boats
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 20:17   #49

I've enjoyed reading all the posts here, quite informative. FWIW, I used to me a sailor but now run a 46ft sportfish. Why am I here? I picked up a floating 1inch line from a previously cut floating fish trap. Wrapped up in both wheels at 19kts. Since they are counterrotating shafts they winched themselves together. Bent both struts, shafts, etc. The repair, yet to be performed will cost about $12,000. Spurs or quickutters are going on. They may not work 100% of the time but anything that MAY prevent this from happening again is worth trying.
rwthomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 20:38   #50
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Rwthomas,

I will grant you most of us are sailors but not all. The common ground of us is that we all love the sea.

You are more than welcome. Observe , learn and contribute. You will not be the only power boater amongst the brothers of the cloth. Welcome, truly.

As to line cutters, I just installed a new set. I try to avoid the crab pots but I can't always see them. In the middle of the channel, I let the spurs take over.

Yes a person has a right to swing their arms. That right stops at the tip of my nose.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 20:58   #51
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwthomas1 View Post
Bent both struts, shafts, etc. The repair, yet to be performed will cost about $12,000.
Yow!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 00:10   #52
Marine Service Provider

Canadian CG have spec'd quicKutters, so you're in good Company. I've seen a boat with shafts pulled together a few years back, very messy and expensive.
4HMainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 10:03   #53

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Are the Quickuters from Ambassador Marine available direct in the US (i.e. without having to order from the UK)?
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 10:32   #54
Marine Service Provider

They are available from quickwater Marine who make them, based in Perth Australia or the UK. The Ambassador cutters are of the same type as Spurs, (scissor type) so completely different to the quickutters.
4HMainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 09:41   #55

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HMainer View Post
They are available from quickwater Marine who make them, based in Perth Australia or the UK. The Ambassador cutters are of the same type as Spurs, (scissor type) so completely different to the quickutters.
Thanks for the info and clearing that up.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote