Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 20:29   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Prop coating short term

I am doing a lift and hold (one hour) next week to change the anodes and clean my prop.

When I do the anti fouling in the winter I will use prop speed coating on the prop.

This time around I just want it cleaned. I do not have time for the prop speed as it takes a day to remove the prop, take it to the applicator and then pick it up the next day.

What does anyone recommend using for coating the prop for a few months till I do it properly in the Winter? I have read about the black marker pen and someone on at my marina said to coat it in lanocoate.

the prop is a three bladed folding volvo rip off one.

cheers
Old 03-03-2008, 23:36   #2

Boat: Trismus 37
Lanocote works well if the prop is heated first to open the pores, I have a 20 litre container of sheep grease from a scouring works that gives the same result at a much reduced price. I have also used soft seal, (CRC? I think, spray on) with some success when the time out of the water is short. Around $15.00 per can (this will give you several applications) against $60.00 for another product that is supposedly made for propellors, can't remember the name. They both smell the same. I was put onto it by a slip yard owner.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 00:36   #3

...Hi foxy..straight lanolin works fine for up to 6 months in average conditions. The method is to fine polish it with wet and dry and then using a hot air gun melt the lanolin into the surface. The prop needs to get just a bit to hot to touch. For a couple of months I would not get to fussy. I have had it last for 12 months plus with no barneys. Once it starts to fail it happens quickly though.You can buy little jars for diddly squat from your local chemist (pharmacy) The stuff has been used as an anti foul on some high speed ferries.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 21:15   #4

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Thanks guys,
will use the lanocote and the heat gun.