Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2024, 02:58   #1

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
OMG are we shocked at our SD40s - Advice??

Hi All,

We took our boat to a boat yard in Monfalcone in Italy to get our engines serviced and one saildrive repaired. They have since told us that BOTH sail drives will need to be replaced.

We have Yanmar 4JH3-TE 75HP engines with SD40s, they are quoting a 7 week lead time to delivery of the sail drives and asking a WHOPPING 25,000 euros for the fitment.

This sounds super high to me but being a novice I have no idea. I have emailed other dealers in Italy, Slovenia and nearby Croatia to see if I can get it any cheaper and/or quicker as we are supposedly making our way across the Med to get to the Canaries for an Atlantic crossing.

I have read in here about SD40s vs SD50s and SD60s.. I don't know the increase in price and assume the bigger the number the more expensive and more powerful/stronger they are. Our St Francis 48 only weighs in at 11ton lightweight so I don't think I need to upgrade but frankly if SD60s were only a couple of hundred more than 40s but would arrive sooner then I'd do that (if they fitted.. which I don't know).

Anyway, does anyone have any information or opinion about this situation that might help steer us in the right direction?

Many thanks

Heath & Pookie
sv Sawasdeekat
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 14:02   #2

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Re: OMG are we shocked at our SD40s - Advice??

As an update, it turns out that SD40s were stopped and replaced with SD60s.. so my now question is whether anyone knows the difference between an SD60-4 and an SD60-5? Because I know of some SD60s-5 for sale.

Apparently the SD60-4 will fit on my engine with an adapter but I don't know if that's trues for an SD60-5?

If anyone knows that would be really helpful.

Heath
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Hi Heath
Contact seascape marine in Cape Town.Speak to Stefan. They can assist you at a fraction of the cost and installation is not difficult. I’m doing that installation asc we speak.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Are the SD40's still in the boat and what is wrong with them? How old are they?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17   #5

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Are the SD40's still in the boat and what is wrong with them? How old are they?
And have the drives ever been dropped/split since the boat was new? Old sail drives are aluminium. If they have not been removed/split every 2 years, they never want to come off willingly.

Once the yard mechanics take the torch to them, you will be amazed at how long it takes and how many other parts need to be replaced. Lots of labor to do the job properly. That is why I still like straight drive shafts.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, sd40